1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I Got Plowed In

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GesnerLawn, Feb 21, 2003.

1. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

This is the third time this year some moron has plowed in my rear driveway. I was not happy when I saw this. I can't believe that someone would do this!

Turns out it is a volunteer ambulance guy plowing out my next door neighbor who is the local volunteer fire chief.

Arrrrrrghhhh!!!

gp gate 1 reduced.jpg

2. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

Here's a shot from the other side. He bent the gate and all.

gp gate 2 reduced.jpg

3. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I would have a real problem with that . Get that guy to clear it out ....Damn who piles snow in front of a gate ?? ANd replace any damaged gate

4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

If that person caused the damage, then you should go and collect for the damage to the gate. Look, you already have the most important evidence - pictures.

That is a pretty stupid thing to do - someone plowed in and block the gate. That is blocking the access road. That person should know better - emergency personnel should know that entrance should be kept open in case of emergency. What happen if something happens at your property and the emergency personnel can't get in? I think its about time you have a little chat with them.

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

id let em know how you feel, and if you think the gate needs repair, send him the bill. i agree, who piles snow in front of a gate like that.

6. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

Id put the snow pack im his drive, where it came from.:cool:
    That is all one that is stupid enough to put snow infront of a gate to your drive will understand.

7. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

Believe me, I wasn't happy. The first two times I just had to drag a little and push it off to the side. I ended up spending the better part of an hour shoveling this time. It's all ice under the snow and I couldn't pull it back and didn't want to drive down and get stuck...I don't plow this road and it's about a 20 minute walk back to the house to get the other truck or tractor.

The gate's o.k., I was able to bend the latch mech. back into shape with a 3 lb hammer and had to reattach the chain link on the bottom rail.

I already mentioned it to the Fire Chief when I saw he out shoveling hydrants during the storm but will drop in or call him in the next couple of days to make sure he communicates to the plow guy. I'm afraid I might get arrested if I talk to the guy myself.

8. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

volunteers

Volunteers ........wannabes , but when they have attitudes geez

9. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Hold on now Bwhite...... I have been a volunteer firefighter for over 20 years.. PLEASE :D retract your last statement about volunteers. KH

We volunteer because your life and others depend on it.

www.indysnowplowers.com

10. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I retract it if you dont have "that " attitude ......We are all special .... Even me

11. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Gesner lawn,you got a cool head.I would have driven my loader over his truck by now.first off he pushed across the road ,thats a no no here.You just dont do it,its illegal.What scares me is that he is dumb enough to block your gated fence.Id take the pics to the police dept,and have a complaint filed,and simply ask that it not happen again,if it does then take legal action,I know you dont want to start anything,but you got to do something,its going to happen again.

12. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

Easy boys.

In fact, the Fire Chief is a really good guy and responded to 911 calls for my parents at least a dozen times. I wouldn't think of putting the snow in his driveway.

The guy who plowed me in also plows the Firehouse and Ambulance lots for free with his Blazer. It's a bit of a different situation than if it was a pro contractor plowing out a paying customer. Still hard to believe that some would plow a gate in like that though.

13. IndySnowPlowers

IndySnowPlowers Member
    from Indiana

Put it back in his drive way.....it is after all HIS snow! :D

14. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

John - Actually, it's a shared apron...he didn't push across the road.

Here's the bigger picture.

gp gate plowed in 002.jpg

15. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Got it,stil no excuse for that!! next time it snows push it all in front of his diveway.

16. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I agree with the gate thing. There is no excuse for that. It is to bad that someone doesn't have the common sense to see a 6' gate in front of him, after all he had to stop the truck to put it there. BUT... I gotta say, I don't like bashing the volunteer guys. I have the luxury ( if you want to call it that ) To be a career guy and a volunteer. We do the same job, just volunteers do it for Nothing. I mean no pay, and no respect, especially from career guys. So my point is lighten up on the volunteers here, Just a point of reference, The best career fire dept in NY started as volunteers....

Rick

17. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

My point would be this: You said it has been done 3 times already. Does this idiot think the snow is melting away? I mean come on, if he is stacking it there and everytime he pushes more the other pile is gone isnt that a clue the snow is blocking a used entrance, and SOMEONE is moving it? duh

I agree to try and resolve as you have done. But 3 times now? I think its time for a report of some kind to make sure this dude knows whats up.

I hope for your sake it stops. Glad to see your a very patient man, thats awesome these days!

18. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

You could put up a sign that says don't plow in or buy a spike strip an put it out next snow, that'll teach em. :p

19. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

Update - I'm not the only one complaining

Well, I printed out a nice photo layout and stopped at the local police station. The officer I spoke with (who used to plow) couldn't believe the guy did that to me and was concerned about blocking the access in case they need to get in there for some reason.

He tried to call ambulance HQ but couldn't get a hold of anyone he wanted to talk to. He gave me the name and number of the head of the ambulance association since it was too late to call him at home. I'll call him tomorrow and see if he can get a message to this moron.

It turns out that mine isn't the only complaint. This guy also hit and damaged the wood-framed handicapped access ramp at a dentist office while plowing out an on-call ambulance volunteer who lives in the other part of the building. This is the good part...he offered to pay for HALF of the damages. The dentist of course said no way. He wants it all paid for. Geee, imagine that! Looks like the ambulance assoc. will have to call their insurance company. According to the cop, he's covered on their policy, but I doubt it will cover plowing damage.

20. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

disaster

That guy is a plowing disaster Every where he goes he leaves damage in his wake . Either he doesnt care (very possible) or he just isnt to bright