1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I got my route!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 02powerstroke, Nov 27, 2008.

1. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

2. Freddy130

Freddy130 Senior Member

Nice route! Looks like your plow will see alot of pavement this year, have you done work for the highway dept before or is this a first? Congrats and good luck this season.

3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Is that working for the city hourly an an employee, or is it contracted out to you as a contractor?
  4. 02powerstroke

I guess it would make me a sub because its my truck and plow they pay Per hour at $60 per hour. And yes this is my first year out of my own I have run other peoples stuff for them for the town as a back up driver and have run my fathers equipment scence I was like 13 but this is my first year out on my own with my own truck.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  5. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

how did you go about getting on the town. im calling my DPW tomorrow and see if they need anyone else. do they require any special stuff?
    sorry for the questions just curious
    and good luck with the route looks like you'll be nice and busy
  6. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, that's pretty cool! Did you have to bid it out, or what?
  7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

You get to plow city streets with a pickup? sounds like a sweet deal.
  8. Colligans, it seems to me you just need to be in the right place at the right time. Go right to the DPW in any nearby towns, and maybe one of them will be looking for a contractor. I went last year to a town near me and got lucky. Other towns already had their contractors lined up.

Around here in MA towns do most of their own plowing with DPW trucks and then hire subs to help as needed. I've been told that they typically call in the subs at about 2" of snow. We operate as totally independent contractors: own truck, pay for own gas, own insurance. They just tell me when and where to plow. One of the six- or ten-wheel trucks checks on me once in a while and then treats my roads when I've finished cleaning up. I was assigned a dozen or so roads in two neighborhoods last year and will probably do the same roads this year.
  9. 02powerstroke

Yeah I'm excited I just hope my truck and plow hold up I would hate to break down my first season working for them. We have are meeting Tuesday night everyone has to bring there truck and plow in for inspection. Colligan all they require is that you have COMM plates 100/300/100 Insurance. I already have COMM plates and have a $500,000 comb single limit so I dident need anything else but to add them as a additional insured to my policy.But each town has there own song and dance so....

This is the beast ready to go just need to replace 2 fitings and its good to go(sorry for the crappy pic and the big black spot is loam from screwing around with a pile of leaves)
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  10. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

truck looks sweet and thanks for the info i already have all that and more on my ins.
    i called franklin dpw today but the office was closed so hopefully i hear back on monday, either that or try to pick up some more contracts.
    thanks again for the info and good luck this winter.