1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I found this funny

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by mike13, Jan 6, 2015.

1. mike13

mike13 Member
    from mass

I was scrolling on Craigslist an found this. One it's a little late to find a guy an two who the hell would do this unless you're a kid
    Three. How much would you even charge not that I'll do it cause I'm not a responsible snow blower operator
  2. Plowingsince10

Plowingsince10 Junior Member
    from Ottawa

seems like a pain in the butt to do...and snowblowing snow into a pickup truck makes me LOL..
  3. pythons37

pythons37 Junior Member
    from NH

For every real job on Craigslist, there are 10,000 like this one.
  4. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like the "fund" needs to go shopping at HD/Lowes and buy a "community" snow blower and shovel for them to share, because short of finding a responsible teenager who wants to EARN a little money, (today's modern golden goose), I can't see them finding anyone dumb enough to take this on.
  5. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

How can you say that? :nono:
    They want you to give them a price. payup
    Would $500 a push interest you?
  6. derekslawncare

Nope, not in the least. First, I'm in Kansas City, so they're not in my area. Second, they sound "high maintenance." I wouldn't want the headache. Third, my truck is WAY too big to get in there. Fourth, residential is LOOOOOW priority for me, so I'm sure I wouldn't meet their needs. Like I said, sounds like a good teenager job.
  7. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I would be on that in a heart beat, for $ 500.00

Might have to buy a two stage for the high flow skidsteer.
  8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

That dumb how wide is your truck It said was 15' wide x 80' long
    $500 is Good money I would jump on it If was in my area Use a skid blower and dump truck
  9. sota

sota Senior Member
    from NJ

It's in the heart of Boston. the streets there are narrower than a smartcar. the surfaces are more pockmarked than a teenager's face. there's going to be little to no place to put any kind of snow accumulation. Their alley is the kind of thing a wrangler with a small plow would be borderline for too big to handle, and once the city plows the entrance in you're done. it's so small an alley it's not even listed on the map (it's directly opposite Public Alley 706, if anyone's looking at the map.) They also want guaranteed dug out service. Finally you know they park their cars on the alley surface since it's a private drive. There's not a chance in hell anyone with half a brain would take on that gig... not without major funds and the ability to dedicate a rig to the location to push their way out.
  10. derekslawncare

My thoughts exactly, hence my above post. You have to listen to the customer closely. Most who have been in the business awhile can get a feel for what will and WILL NOT be worth their time. You can't just see $$$$$ signs and then glaze over.
  11. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Yeah I read his post.

I would convince them to allow us to throw the snow into their year with the two stage on the skid.

The tight streets ?? So how do they plow ?

Anyhow...it is what it is...might be good $$ might be a bust. Either way you never know till you try.

But still 1200 sq ft ain't much area.
  12. derekslawncare

To answer your question, my truck is 8' wide. WIDTH isn't the issue. It has a 16' (192") wheelbase, so it turns like the Titanic. Add to that a 10.5' V-plow hanging off the front and you now have a truck that is bare minimum 22' long, which is one of the reasons I bought a skid steer and HLA Snow Wing this year, so that I could service one of my accounts, a self storage facility that was next to impossible to maneuver in. There is no way in hell I would even REMOTELY consider that job even if it were in my area.
  13. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

Why do you insist on telling us it isn't in your area?
    No kidding...it isn't in any of our areas...that isn't the point of the question. Get over yourself Mr. Monster Truck.
  14. derekslawncare

Antlerart asked why I wouldn't do it. As you can see, his location is "in the woods" which could be anywhere. It COULD BE that this particular job IS in his area, sooooo, I was answering his question. One of the many reasons I wouldn't do it is that IT ISN'T IN MY AREA (said it again for ya). Another reason is that my truck is TOO FREAKING BIG. SORRY MINE IS BIGGER, SO GET OVER YOURSELF, MR. mini TRUCK. LOL
  15. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

My thoughts ... exactly !!!!
  16. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

My friends live on one of these streets, i parked my crew cab superduty there 2 weeks ago. Get over it. Yes a blower would be easier but you would throw half the street into their yard. Some are mostly gravel
  17. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You have a small truck My F350 super cab Chassis I would put in that alley
    Im in the woods just 3 hrs north of you in this hillbilly state

You made it clear in you very first post that you wasn't even close to it
    You from KC
    But if was in your area you still wouldn't do it since your truck is to big
    You say you don't mess with Res. Then why on your web site that's all photos you have is Res. Don't even see any Com or don't even see any Snow photos .
  18. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Well then a better idea.

Use a loader, pick up all the snow and snow while they are unaware.

Stock pile the load near by.

In the spring...sell them a load of their own stone ;)
  19. derekslawncare

Mowing/Lawn care = 90% resi and 10% (small) com. Snow removal is 100% commercial. Unfortunately, I haven't gone back and edited my website since I built it, probably about 6 or 7 years ago. The p/u on home page I don't even own anymore, traded for my current truck, so it is DEFINITELY dated. My bad. As for you and your truck, if you want to try to squeeze it in to a place it won't fit, go ahead. I don't have that kind of time, ESPECIALLY not for a chicken **** account that wants to pay me less for a season than what I make on most of my accounts for ONE PLOW AND ONE SALT. And none of them are high maintenance (PITA) clients. I would spend no less than an hour servicing that account, to provide the level of service the customer is asking for. In contrast, I have one commercial that I can clean & treat walk, plow and salt lot. It takes about 3.5 hrs to do all and pays $350/plow up to 7"and another $350/app. You do the math. Which would you prioritize? No brainer for me and obviously you already know my answer.
  20. derekslawncare

Ant06, not to get into a pissing match over truck size, but I just went to the Ford truck site and build and price speced a f350 super cab. You may want to recheck your tape measure, the LONGEST wheelbase super cab is 172", mine is almost two feet longer at 192" (center axle to center axle is 16'). My 12' long roll offs go from about 2' behind the cab to just over the rear bumper. My rear axle spring shackles are about 12" in front of that meaning the rear axle is as far back as you can get it. Believe me when I say, it turns like the Titanic. It is not a fun truck to maneuver, so much of a PITA sometimes that I would kill to be back in my F250 super cab, the one displayed on my website. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get a picture of my truck (on my cell) to upload or I would attach it so that you have a better idea of what it is I am talking about. It is a cab and chassis truck, not a p/u with a flat bed on it. They are two completely different chassis. Hope this helps.