1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I found Salt in Michigan

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 08F3506.4L, Aug 6, 2008.

1. 08F3506.4L

08F3506.4L Member

I found bulk salt in michigan but think its kind of expensive... 118 a ton? what do you guys think?
  2. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

Sounds a little high, but not by much. Where did ya find it? My places are still running on speculation but they are telling me 95-105 is what they believe.....
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Methinks that's about the best you're going to get on this side of the state.
  4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Count in this side of the state for that also (for the vast majority).
  5. 08F3506.4L

08F3506.4L Member

Looks like he told me the wrong price, now he is saying upwards of 150 :gunsfiring:. O well I guess ill pass the price on.
  6. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Just found out that my supplier will be at 130/ton plus delivery and does not know how much he will be able to get. He speculates that by the end of Sept. the state will take over all the available supply leaving everybody with nothing.
  7. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

I Goggled Salt Shortage, was reading minutes from a town meeting. The bid from Mortan Salt was $82.50 a ton. The town rejected the bid
  8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

good , let them keep rejecting the bids, and the piles will grow, then they will have to sell it for cheap
  9. SnoFro

SnoFro Junior Member

I just got my salt prices for this winter yesterday-$110 a ton! But it's like you are all saying too. We might not be able to get it through the whole winter.
  10. 08F3506.4L

08F3506.4L Member

where are you guys getting your salt? If I can get if for 110 that would be way better.
  11. SnoFro

SnoFro Junior Member

My supplier goes down to The "D" to get it. I think he buys from Cargill. I'm just a small time plower so I always get my truck loaded when I need it. But I think this year I am going to buy a truck load as soon as he gets it and keep it at my shop.
  12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Wise move. It's anyones guess as to what the pricing will be from the local supply guys as the winter progresses...........not to mention how many times they will run out when you need it most. It's always better to depend on yourself rather than others. :D
  13. Big Snow Balls

Big Snow Balls Member

Any one have any leeds on bulk salt Chicago area. I will pay in full up front, and pick it up now .
  14. Snowgeek

Snowgeek Junior Member

$110/ton would be great for me as well.
  15. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

im not sure, but it seems to me that , the suppliers are fare mor likely to deal with the bigger buyers ... so i wonder if you got a few ppl , from this site, or others in your aread, and just tried to purchase under one name ? or even got it from a broker, same deal... larger quanitiy = better price, and maybe bett odds of getting it
  16. SnoFro

SnoFro Junior Member

Last season I could have bought 50 tons at a time for half of what I usually pay. Which, for me, lasts for quite a few snowfalls. But for this season, I have not found that deal. The best I have found is about a $10 to $20 per ton savings. I think I am going to jump on it just because I'd like to have my own stash in case the well runs dry again.
  17. Allor Outdoor

Allor Outdoor Senior Member

Hey Guys
    I am able to locate some salt in the Oakland county area at a VERY reasonable price. Pre-pay it is $125/ton picked up and delivered within the area (Novi and surrounding areas) it is $135.00 with a 50ton minimum.

If any of you guys are interested, please email me at: salt@alloroutdoorservices.com

There is a very limited supply, and it is first come (with cash), first serve.

18. snoking

snoking Senior Member

Muskegon, holland, grand haven, and grand rapids, drop me a line I know someone that can deliver to you for 135 up front 50 ton loads pm me and ill send you his number
  19. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Up here, best I can do is $96 delivered for 50 metric ton. Double what i paid 2 yrs ago.
  20. jfjcontracting

jfjcontracting Member

I am looking to buy 4000-5000 Ton . If anyone has any leads please let me know .
    Will go into Ohio or surrounding areas. Will pay up front and any amounts will help.