1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I find this Ironic.... You?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by blaryslawn, Feb 18, 2010.

1. blaryslawn

blaryslawn Member

Well there was a property that I used to maintain. Grounds maintenance along with snow removal. I ended up in a disagreement with the head of the association due to them cutting costs in the building stages of the property. They wanted a pristine property but wanted to pay pennies. To make a long story short, I told him I was doing the best job possible with what I was given to work with.....so I no longer maintain their property. And the place looks no better than when I quit doing it over a year ago. They charge twice the money and do half the job. It just so happens my mothers real estate office is in that complex and I was going up there to drop something off to her today. Right as I stepped out of my truck, there go my feet and I was flat on my back on the pavement. Tore my elbow up, crushed my phone, hurt my back etc.... Ironic or not? I just dont know what is more Ironic... the fact that I do snow removal and it happened to me or the fact that I used to maintain the property, left on not so good terms, and end up slipping and getting hurt in their parking lot.

2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

You should have spoken during the moment to inner management. It might be too late to go back, but I would'a caused a fuss with them! :nod:

In Ottawa, commercial retailers can pay you $5k on the spot instead of going to court. Its cheaper for them.

3. blaryslawn

blaryslawn Member

yea... Not a bad idea, But i know it would have been a issue with them saying I was doing it as revenge... it didnt hurt me that bad.. personally I thought it was funny

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sure hope your typing from your hospital bed with your lawyer next to you.

5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Irony can be pretty darn ironic sometimes.

So how come this other outfit got to charge double what you were and they're still there?

6. blaryslawn

blaryslawn Member

its just a matter of time until they realize this guy is not going to make it any better....then they will move on to the next.. and the next

7. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Now ya tell me. Here I was nothing to do cuz of the no show snow. Im gonna head to the shop and grind off the tread of my work boots and head to Ottawa, couple of falls per day and I will have my equipment paid off.:D

8. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

I agree with Grandview on this one. It would have caused me to have extensive nerve damage to me neck as well, rendering me incompetent to work. (nerve damage doesn't show up on x-ray or MRI's)payup;)

9. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I feel your pain, I think I'll sue for you..............

10. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

That would have been up to the lawyers and judge to decide. I think differently since you had business there. First mistake was attempting to move. Second was not getting the entire EMS, Fire, and Police force called over there. Agreed that you may have suffered unrepairable nerve damage that will not show up right away. Lesson learned, I walked away from a S&F one time and probably could have owned the restaurant it happened at. It was complete negligence on them, but I was more embarressed than hurt. I did wake up the next day completely purple on one side.

11. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Sue-happy people everywhere!

Besides the OP's boo-boo and a broken phone, does he have any actual damages, or do some of the posters here have get-rich-quick dreams for him and themselves?

It's tragic that some customers cannot see the actual VALUE of the product they're buying, they only see the PRICE.

12. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Hoask........

Speaking for myself and most other ( I HOPE), I think it's more a serious sense of sarcasm, than a get rich quick theme, though it seems some guys might have a little vindictive streak........not naming names, just observing!

13. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

Sue-happy, no! But vindictive, hell yes!

This is a clear example of what happens when a lowballer steals a job from a contractor that actually cares about the level of service he performs.

It's time for property owners to just buck up and pay a qualified contractor to do a good job instead of taking the risk of being sued to save a couple hundred bucks. I would take it very personally if I lost this account to some scrub, thats like taking food from my families plate. Then let alone go to the property and actually slip and fall because of his neglect. Then the tables would turn, you once took the food from my family by firing me, now you can send them to college cause I just fell.;)

14. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Great attitude. Very professional. This will take you far in the world. :dizzy:

Perhaps you could channel your efforts and energy in to finding better customers for your service, one's that truly appreciate what you provide and are willing to pay you justly for it. Competition is a harsh reality and not every customer can afford the cadillac of grounds management. Move on.

15. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

You have no idea what your even talking about. Did you know that the average slip and fall costs about $30,000 settled out of court? How does that justify not salting, and saving $500-$1000?

16. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Right... You're the only one whose ever been around the block. To you, we bow.

Sure, great, sounds about right, though I dont have my figures in front of me.

I never said it justified saving a few bucks. In fact, I was promoting your "better service" mindset, which we all like to think we provide. The fact of the matter is... not everyone can afford to buy the best, pay the most, and have bare pavement at all times.

My point was that you sound like a child, out for revenge because you didn't get your way. Your "vindictive" style is a blow to the industry and all business owners alike, and it sucks. Were you really hurt (I realize this is a fictional daydream for you, but not the OP) in your slip and fall incident and had REAL damages, then you would be due compensation from the property. You would just rather not work as hard, get a free handout, and "send your family to college" because the property owner chose to hire someone else. Sad for you. I'm embarrased to associate with people like you and acknowledge your existence in our industry.

Added note: How do you suppose people will desire your services when they google your site, your name, and find this article on PS? If I read, as a property manager or owner, that you are "vindictive, hell yes" when I was considering your services, I would consider them no more. Good luck with that.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  17. blaryslawn

blaryslawn Member

Look guys. I was not trying to start any arguments.I just found the situation humerous. And even if they asked for me to come back I wouldn't. I don't do business with customers that do business in that manner. I wouldn't say this guy is a scrub, I don't even know if this guy is under a contract. It may have been the assn. Trying to save a buck by not salting, or cleaning up the little bit of snow left over. It just so happened the 10 square foot of ice in the whole parking lot from melting snow was right under my feet as I got out of my truck. Just ironic I thought

18. blaryslawn

blaryslawn Member

I'm not out to get a free handout, even though I could have persued that. I was not injured. Yea I broke my phone and my back was stiff but to be honest I'm sure anyones parking lot had ice in it after a storm like we had. I was just sharing the story because I found it ironic. It could have been any one of yall to have someone slip and fall in one of your maintained properties. Then if they wanted a free handout they would have got it, at your expense. Not so funny then. Yall just need to quit arguing about it because it was me that it happened to and I'm not looking for a handout

19. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

No one said YOU were. Danscapes said he would have been, had he been in your situation, to which I responded.

Kudos to you, in fact, for having the "thats life" mentality, which is not the "sue-happy" way that most of those who replied purported to believe in.

20. blaryslawn

blaryslawn Member

O. I got ya. Yea. Too many ppl out there like that