1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I finally got to try my U edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Eric ELM, Jan 27, 2001.

1. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

4 AM and I just got in from trying out my new U edge. I put it on about 3 weeks ago, but this is the first snow since I got it on. I was very impressed. I sure like how quiet it is when you drop it and when I am plowing. It went over the pavers like a broom. :)

We could get 6 to 10" Tuesday, so that will be the real test. Going to bed now and get some zzzzzzzzzzzzz's.
  2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Wait a minute... WHERE exactly were you plowing??? We got enough snow to salt, that's about it. 1"-4" was expected, but once again mother nature saw to it that I make NO money in January.

6"-10" on Tuesday!?!?!?!? That would be nice...

P.S. I'd like to see that Urethane Edge of yours, if YOU say they're that good... I'm gonna have to order one.
  3. paul

paul PlowSite.com Veteran

Slim he went out to plow because his bird needed food.
  4. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Good Morning Guys,
    We have a u on our boss V and it seems to be doing real well.Much better than the rubber we had before.Ordered ours from Dino.
    Just my 2 cents Good Luck

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey Eric-

I laughed when I saw this post- I just got back from doing my whole route with Less than an inch accumulation! We officially had 1.1 inches that fell.

I was just so sick of not plowing this month- and my ice fishin plans were shot because of the 2-4 inch forcast, I figured, what the heck!

Sure seemed good to get back out!
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

We did about 1/2 of them. Some had no snow on them from the wind blowing it off and the rest had all the snow in them that blew off the bare driveways. After plowing 32 big drives, it wore the sharp edge that it rides on to start with, down approx. a quarter inch at the most. You can run it through a table saw at a 10 degree angle and have it so it will be riding on the full 1.5", but I figured I would see how it worked this other way, which is on a sharp edge to start with until it wears down do a 10 degree angle. This should take approximately 20 hours of plowing at this rate and this is just a guess. I'm sure others know exactly and it will depend on if it's all concrete or black top. I have about 60% blacktop, 35% concrete, and 5% paver brick driveways.

The weather guessers are saying that there should be 1.3" of moisture in this next storm. If it tracks like it is now, we will get rain to start and switch over to snow with 6" to 10" by the time it is over.
  7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Y'know, even considering some of the exaggerated claims made about the U edge, I like it much better than the steel edge. If for nothing more than the complete lack of noise it makes while pushing.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Is it just me, because it seems like every time I read a post a bout someone getting a U edge it doesn't snow for weeks. We have our three edges on and are ready and waiting.

Tom, did you have that much up north or did you just want to plow again? we had mabe a 1/2-3/4" on the south side of town. We did get rid of some of the salt (finally) that we stockpiled after that warning from JAA.
  9. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

What exactly is a "U" edge?
  10. earth works inc.

earth works inc. Member

he eric: i finally got to try out my new u blade that i put on a boss v plow. worked pretty good. had been waiting for about 3 weeks and finally got 2-3 inches yesterday. worked alot better than the rubber blade i tried earlier and the curtis poly blade that didnt last very long.

i did notice one thing. when i plowed across an area that didnt have much snow due to salting earlier, it wanted to bounce alot up front.

he dino - thanks for sending me the blade.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I have quite a few rural jobs, and things were drifted pretty bad. I could've got by skipping it, since it was probably only 3/4 inch accumulation, but I wanted to get out anyways.

I still would've rather been hauling walleyes through the ice, but I guess thats just gonna hafta wait!
  12. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

A "U" edge is a polyurethane cutting edge for snowplows. It replaces (sort of) the steel cutting edge. They are quiet, don't wear as fast, absorb more impact, take speed bumps with ease... I'm starting to sound like a salesman.