1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I figured it out.....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jonw440, Dec 27, 2002.

1. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

Yesterday I asked about elec. problems on my E47. It tuned out to be the solinoid on the fender. I put in another one I had and it was just clicking. Meyers plows need there OWN TYPE OF SOLINOID TO WORK!!!! The old one I had on the truck looked exatly like a FORD one. BUT the inner workings of the solinoid is NOT the same.
    15.00 and now it works fine.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2002
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

That is funny. I have used just about every kind of solenoid with every kind of plow.

A solenoid is only a big relay which is just a power switch. If you wire it right it should work. Having a good ground is important.

3. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

I took the one off the Ford truck (start solinoid) and replaced the plow solinoid. It just clicked. I put that one back were it was and bought a new Meyers solioid and everythinhg works fine. The old solinoid would not even click. Nothing... dead.
    The Ford solinoid would click but NOT run the plow.

4. omsk

omsk Junior Member

Believe it or not, there are about 6 or 8 solenoids of the type you describe that ARE NOT interchangeable. They all look the same externally, but vary internally. If you have a NAPA dealer you are friendly with they should have a catalog showing all the Echlin components with pictures. Just check out all the solenoids of the type you are using.......!! Sometimes just because it looks the same doesn't mean it is.

Gregg

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

They may be different but they will all work the same. I have used solenoids for a lot of different stuff. If you hook up to the right terminals any will work. They are all just big relays.