1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I Feel Stupid!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by repo_man62, Jul 1, 2005.

1. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

O.K. guys....been plowing for 20+...but this is my first 5 spd. plow truck. I have NO clue of the way to plow with a stick. I am a truck-driver by trade so don't try to school me on driving a stick...just plowing with one. Any help appreciated.

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

don't ride the clutch- either in or out... period. Depress the clutch when you're getting to the pile, you want to be coasting into a pile slowing from the snow, and you want to stop nice and gently in the pile, just like an auto. You'll learn the judgement quick, it's not much different. Pick a gear and pretty much stay in it when pushing- drives and small lots are 1st gear- no need to shift to 2nd unless you're doing a large lot. the simple act of shifting gets complicated fast between the abnormally deceleration rate from the blade of snow (you have to learn how much over normal upshift rpm to run it- experiance based on your truck) controlling the blade, steering and shifting itself.

Been a few years since I did a stick (my chevy has been off the road for a couple), but I learned to plow in a stick.

3. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

WOW! I actually got an excellent answer instead of a smart a## comment! Thanks for the info...and I'll be sure to apply the knowledge. Thanks alot...Bob

4. evil snowman

evil snowman Member

i learned to plow with a stick and learned to drive stick all at once. it was an emergency so i when really slow and was careful not to ride the clutch. after that i actually like plowing/driving stick better that auto.

5. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Plowing with stick shift

I had several stick trucks from 72 on. You will find your clutch leg muscles will be larger than your gas leg muscles. Your right hand will have blisters on it from shifting after a big storm. The new clutches are very hard material and are either engaged or disengaged.

I remember one storm here that I plowed till I could not walk with out help as my clutch leg would not move like I wanted it. My right hand had a blister in the palm. The new process 435 transmission held up and so did the clutch.

Good luck

Dave

6. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Funny you said that...here is my shifting hand as of yesterday!

100_7188 (Small).JPG

100_7189 (Small).JPG

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The main thing NOT TO DO is slip the clutch against a load / pile. Backup and bump up the plow off the ground. Drop the plow as you move forward and give it gas. I had an old timer tell me this and my clutch in my Bronco II went 2 seasons without problems. After a big storm your going to walk like a troll when you get out of the truck from all the foot work you do.

8. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

get an automatic

9. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

I've never plowed with an automatic, and I've never had any leg cramps or anything even remotely like what I read in these forums.. After your first few pushes youll have the feel of things, I stick with 4 low and second gear, but my tranny has a real low ratio. After seeing those pics of your hand maybe the automatic is the way to go for you Repoman :eek:

10. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Well...by the time winter hits...my hand should be alright. Having the other done next month. Thanks for the input. Here is the progress on the hand.

100_7269 (Small).JPG

11. MickiRig1

Must be Carpel Tunnel surgery?
    My Wife had both done,she has very little problems with them now.

12. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Yep!! Gettin' the other one done next month.

13. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

i like plowing with a clutch cuz i got better plow feel. ie, knew when i hit a curb.
    the auto just absorbs it which is good but hard to feel it....get the joystick on the stick shift....its only hard on your leg the first time out.

14. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

If Uncle Sam has his way us stick shifters are going to be out of vehicles. Along with better autos, fewer vehicles are being offered with manual trans cause a computer controlled auto can be "programmed" to meet the emissions loop tests, so they say. This has got to hit the 8600# and up GVW market soon unfortunately...

Anyhoo, I always run my Western joysticks bass-ackwards, on the Left side of the dash... Anybody else like them on that side???

"Will give up my manual when they pry my cold, dead fingers from the shifter"!

15. MickiRig1

I have taught a lot of people to drive manuals. I miss having one, my last one was a Bronco II 5 spd. It was a great little truck to drive, of the 15 vehicles I have owned I liked it the best.

16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

It's not Uncle Sam I'm afraid, it the auto maker's looking for cheaper and easier ways of making existing production parts/vehicles meet the newer standards instead of redesigning from the ground up. you'll NEVER see standards go away especially in the higher GVWR catagories, thew standard is still the more effecient tranny on the highway.

Yeah, both my trucks have the stick on the left of the wheel- I always thought that was the way it was supposed to be! I learned to plow with it there.

17. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

You're absolutely right justme, less and less choices from Detroit all in the name doing it cheaper! :gunsfiring:

Starting to see more and more >26000 gvw vehicles with autos too, especially fleet and state/local muni government. Can't figure out why since it can't be efficiency at that level. Harder to find drivers that can run a manual without destroying things????

18. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Bingo! That's why the Army went to autos in the majority of their transports several years back. Any recruit (or idiot depending on the circumstances...) can drive a truck once they get the feel of the size, not everyone can drive a larger truck and shift too.

19. MickiRig1

I have mine between the bucket seats behind the auto floor shifter in a Bronco II. (Western T-bar)

Having auto tran's in military trucks probably saves a lot in wear and tear.
    Anybody that can reach the steering wheel and pedals can then drive it, in theory.

20. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Well said :salute: