1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i feel like a fool!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by go plow, Oct 23, 2007.

1. go plow

go plow Senior Member

hi guys a long time has past since last season,
    last year i had a client that was a pita, the drive was small, this guy called every tiime i plowed, he would leave his garbage cans at the end of the driveway, leave his car parked at the end then call me to ask why i didnt plow, or he would leave me enough room to enter, but then he would call and ask me why i didnt get infront of his car. i hope this is all making sense to you? i wish that i had a picture of it to show you.
    so anyway, this morning im loading my truck,and had alot on my mind, he called and i let the machine picked up, i answered it as he was leaving a message, he told me who he was but cought me off guard, he asked if i would send him out a contract for the year, i told him that i would send him one this afternoon.last year before he signed it, he wanted his lawyer to read it. so i get to my first job for the day, then i remember who he is! now im stuck. as i write i keep remembering things that he did, he also paid late, sent checks for the wrong amount, wrote final payment on a check when he still owed me a months worth of plowing.. i can go on forever about his guy A TOTAL PITA! But i feel bad , im the type of guy that honors my word! im stuck, what would you do? would you just not send one, call him back and say no to him ? thanks for your help
  2. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

send a contract just raise the cost enough to make it worth your while. Or maybe he will go some where else
  3. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

I agree, send him a contract that is high...if he wants to pay he can be a PITA all he wants
  4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i agree too. i would also put in the contract for additional charges for return visits if the drive is not accessible.
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I do not think I could raise the price enough to make it worth my while. I used to have a problem telling people like that I don't want to work for them. No problem any more. I just tell them that it would be best to find another contractor. It is early enough in the year.
  6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

No matter what the price, a PITA customer that is the way you described would cause you enough headaches to regret bringing him back on as a customer....JMO
  7. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

I am sure that no matter how much of a PITA someone can be, I can come up with a price that will ease my mind.
  8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Call him back
    Kindly say "hey, I'm sorry, I was really busy this morning and couldn't remember where your place was. I went into work and looked up my records and I believe you just weren't happy with my service last year and believe you should find someone else to do your work for you. Here is a number of someone else who you might be happier with (give them your worst enemy)"

not worth the aggravation.
  9. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

--------- plow fell off the truck------------insurance was canclled----------you are the abomibable sno man and you will eat his car and spat it out on his sno covered drive-----------just thought id try to help
  10. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Call him back and just let him know that he will need to find someone else. AFter thinking about it you remember that he did not seem to be to happy with your service cause he called you every chance he got. Just be honest with him and say we just need to part ways.
  11. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

It is up to you, but I would send him a contract with the price three times higher. 9 times out of 10 he will be gone.

If he bites add this to the contract:

The Customer shall keep all debris such as newspapers, children’s toys, tree limbs, and vehicles from the area to be plowed prior to snow removal. If the Customer fails to comply, this Agreement may be terminated and the Customer will not receive a refund of any payment.

Good Luck
  12. 3PLLC

3PLLC Junior Member

I assure you that it doesn't matter how much you jack up the price, he will just become a bigger pita. Tell him you just don't want to do it because he is a pita. Believe me, anyone that he tells about you, you wouldn't want to do their drives either. Pita's attract Pita's. Life is too short to put up with such headaches.
  13. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

Find A Lowballer

Tell him, "After reviewing my records you did not seem pleased with my service last season, and there always seemed to be a payment issue."
    then refer him to a lowballer in your area.
    unless, of course, you want/need the contract again
  14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ditto, great advice.
  15. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with many of the postings about "counselling" the guy & refreshing his memory about last year's issues. Besides telling him that you can't tolerate the constant badgering this season, quote him more than previously and add what Quad suggested:

Make it so anything he bitches about costs him, so you make out well regardless. If he shuts up, you've won; if he gripes about things NOT listed above, he's charged more for your time and you still win.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

I think you should be outfront and honest with the guy. Simplily make out the contract like you did before and add an appropiate agrevation premium to his policy. Say $5.00 per call $35.00 per late payment and $150.00 PITA fee.

Explain that you were upset about the way you were treated last winter and that you have many satified clients and no shortage of work. Besides you are Getting out of the residential side of plowing due to the increase in liability insurance.LOL

17. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed, except for lying to him. IMO, that gets ya nowhere. If you can't be honest with people, then there's no reason for you to be out there earning people's trust & taking their money. I've told people they're PITA customers in various ways, getting that point across clearly but not actually calling them names.
  18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

First off, I'd be a little concerned about a guy taking a contract to his lawyer for a residential drive. I say call him and tell him your cutting back and can't do his drive. No one needs to deal with people like this.
  19. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Don't bid it. Simple as that. Its not worth your time at all. Let him complain to someone else. Move on.