1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I don't want to rust new truck

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mistel, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Mistel

Mistel Member

I have a 2004 Chevy with a tailgate spreader. I only do a few lots for the family business so I don't need a lot of salt (or whatever), my biggest concern is to not rust out my new truck. What I am doing now is buy 20KG bags of salt, maybe 10 at a time, and just keeping them in the truck bed. Price is not to much of an issuse as I get reimburesed for my costs. Any suggestions???
  2. Plow King

Plow King Senior Member

Wash off the truck after every application.

You could also get the underside rustproofed.
  3. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Since you are keeping pags of salt in the bed, as many of us do, you should have a good bedliner as well. And I strongly agree with some kind of rustproofing, have it reapplied regularly. I re-do mine every couple of years.

FIREDUDE26 Member

Soundsto me like you will get more salt from the road on your truck than from salting your jobs. hang a piece of rubber on the back side of your spreaader to help with the salt coming forward, then rinse it off after each use. If your really worried about it , hire someone else to salt your jobs. :jester:
  5. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Wash your truck as often as u can.I have a spray liner in mine,also had it dealer undercoated
  6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

If its made of metal and you put it in contact with salt and water , its going to rust , thats a given . How fast it rusts depends on how well you clean it .
  7. Mistel

Mistel Member

Thanks for the input, I try to do all those things. Actually, I was looking for suggestions for something other than salt that I could spread throught a tailgate spreader.

8. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Magic Salt has a corrosion inhibitor in it. (Works better too)

You could also get some salt neutralizer from Rhomar Industries.
  9. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

There are NO anti-rust de-icing products on the market today. The best thing you can do is have a good spray in liner for the bed of your truck & after (or as soon as possible) your done salting go wash of excess salt residue.

TIP::: When your done washing off the salt, apply vegetable oil to the affected area. Also do this before salting to help prevent the salt from sticking to surfaces.
  10. PamelaRose

PamelaRose Member

Oil underside to prevent rust

I was thinking the same thing Indy. Didn't the ol timers use to oil the underside of their trucks to help prevent a lot of corrosion from the salt. It would help the break lines too wouldnt it?

My 2¢ worth
  11. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

The trick to corrosion prevention is to do all of the above - Bedliner, undercoat, washing, neutralizing, oiling, greasing, waxing, and a side order of common sense.

If you are willing to pop for the more expensive deicing products, Magic, Clearlane, several of the Urea, and a couple of the acetates contain a corrosion inhibitor - which works.

However, you are likely to drive across some roadway NOT treated with the above while doing your thing.

Many municipalities and states are now using Cargill's Clearlane to minimize damage to bridge support structures. Many others are pre-treating with a brine solution. Depends where you are. The airport crowd has had to deal with corrosion for a long time since the airlines get really annoyed when their airplanes start to dissolve......
  12. Mark in MD

Mark in MD Member

I found this thread in a search. I suppose this vegetable oil idea is old school now, and Fluid Film is the way to go.

What I'm still not clear on are a couple things:

1) If your new truck has undercoating, isn't undercoating rubber-based? Or are there other kinds of undercoats?

2) If your undercoating is rubber-based, is it wise to put Fluid-Film, which I imagine is petroleum based, on the under carriage -- since petroleum deteriorates rubber?

I'm trying to figure out the best solution for my new truck (besides just getting out of this business, which I am considering). Thanks
  13. MBB

MBB Senior Member

fluid film - Lanolin based
  14. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Getting out wont help.

Unless you head southwest getting out of plowing/salting wont help rust issues much.Might slow it down but....
    There are many autos/trucks around me all rotted to heck without plow gear on them.Just the stuff on the roads kills autos..Nasty Stuff!
    I agree with the guys above,wash and wax,good undercoating,paint any bare metal from the factory,POR15 has excellent products for this.Fluid Film all the hard to reach areas and where metal is attached to metal.
    A good rubber mud flap full width will help(Even with the stuff still carries forward).I used to use old belting off conveyors at the sand pit.Made great plow flaps also.
    The article's below pretty much sum it up;

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  15. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

As stated above washing your truck is your best defense. I use a tailgate spreader and worry about messing up my truck but it is making me money. I keep it clean as best I can,but the salt from the roads in worse than the salt that ends up on my bumper( it's easier to claen off). The coin wash guy makes alot of money from me in the winter. I paint my frame before and after every winter. If you use a few cans of spry paint it works wonders. Anything to help protect it. In the long run though my truck is a tool. I will use it to make money and replace it when the time comes. The salt corrosin is just more wear and tear on a tool. Good luck!!!
  16. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Ditto that.
  17. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

my newest salt truck is a 1991 anything newer and it would make me sick looking at all of that rust on the truck. i realize that plow trucks get salt on them too but we don't run much on the salted roads usually stay on the lots and city streets. i would try "salt away" whenever you rinse....that's what our city uses after each use.
  18. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

good bed liner tarp....i started to put a tarp down the tailgait so nothin would spin around with it cut to split the hitch