1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I don't like Dentco

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Flawless440, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Handled 13 Speedways for them last season
    This season they want me to do them again, and they managed to steal 1 of my accounts i have had for 7 years.
    They send the contract over, crazy 1 sided contract that i can't believe anybody signs.
    We go threw and make all the needed changes send it back and they won't agree.
    The biggest issue is the Speedways are "on call" salt only and because of this we are released for liability for slip n falls. This was there sale point last year. This year they aren't standing by there word.
    Its not worth the the b.s paperwork, have to get crap signed at every site. They will call for 1 salt at 1 site after all trucks and guys are home. Also 45 day pay..
    Mowed some grass this summer, nightmare, making up there own prices on stuff then begging you to do it. Holding $$ for irrgation check paperwork and the 2 crappy properties don't even have sprinkler systems. Try to tell this to the 3 different people that call and email about the same dam situation and get no were.:realmad::realmad:
  2. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

the silly things we do for money
  3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yep, their contracts are that bad too.. we've worked for them and no major issues, but only did one site here and there, never major contracts. I've seen contracts worded this way, like youre ONLY liable from service to service and not liable when they dont' call and other BS, or ON CALL service ONLY , what a joke. We did Hess gas stations before, was peanuts for another company and all of them complained, always icy, hard to plow etc.. they should pay 3x what they paid in NJ.
  4. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

I've got a friend that has a bunch of speedways for them in southern Ohio. Been trying to explain to him that you should never fill your plowing schedule with these BS sites. He is just like you. On call for salt. F that. We just got a half inch little snow this week just before business hours. Pre treated and got to spot treat for refreeze that night. I billed for two salting events while my buddy stares at his phone. Quit working for these idiots man you will be money ahead to get the hell away from nationals and get your own work. There will always be ppl willing to put themselves through pure hell like your doing but it's not worth it
  5. Flawless440

They are lucky i even gave them the time of day. I don't need there work... Guys are that desperate and will sign that contract just amazes me.
  6. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Have to be a special kind of dumb to ever work for any NSP. I would rather shovel snow for 15 bucks. Go home with more money and no BS.
  7. SnoDaddy

SnoDaddy Senior Member
    from ohio

Speedways are no salt everyone knows that. I had a chance to get some of them this year pay was dirt. Wasn't with Dentco but another NSP. Lame. Speedway is cheap way. Worthless contract you could do 50 and make prob 50k tops for a whole winter.
  8. bah1491

bah1491 Member

We have a few decent accounts with Dentco, and a few crappy. Do you deal with Marty ?

Anyone service any Englefield oil BP Duke and Duchess sites in ohio? We just lost all of ours for landscape and snow in 2016-2017. Got a letter from corporate after 10 years. 10 Zero tolerance snow sites down the tubes. They are switching to " one vendor to handle all sites" .
  9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

speedway figures if the fuel prices are low enough the people buying gas will carry enough salt off the roads, so they dont need to pay for it
  10. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

That's the reason why working for an nsp like dentco is a bad idea in the first place! I'm not trying to be an a$$ to you but you can't be mad at losing work to nsp's when u have helped keep them in business and helped build their empires.. I would sell all my equipment and find something else to do than use my business to build someone else's. You losing all those sites is the proof in the pudding why we should ALL tell nsp's to go to hell. Like said before, not trying to be an a$$, just stating the obvious. I HATE hearing that the little guy gets beat out by nsp's.

I serviced a pamida for years, they got bought out by shopko. Nsp called me wanting to talk. I told them try craigslist. They must have to because the service sucked.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  11. bah1491

bah1491 Member

NSP's represent less than 10% of our revenue. Our market is not "booming" and unfortunately nsp's are part of today's landscape industry. Do I like it? no. But in our area, we have to work with them, not against them. Believe it or not, their are a few "decent" ones to work for.

Either way. Speedways suck..... And so do dentcos SVT's
  12. Flawless440

Yes MARTY... And 3-5 others who have no idea what's going on..
  13. Flawless440

It somewhat works.... Still waiting for it to melt while the place is a sheet of ice.. Can't believe they had issues.. Or they have and just settle
  14. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

You do not have to work against them.

And, no one is holding a gun to your head so you do not have to work for them.

You chose to. And, as long as people do so they will stay in business. Your actions are keeping them alive.
  15. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Your first two sentences work hand and hand together and present the simple facts. If ppl don't want to work against them then everyone needs to stop working for them.

Nsp's are like drug dealers. Never go away as long as ppl are willing to buy "into it".

Ppl keep saying they are here to stay. With that line of thinking I'd say so. Band together and shut them down. I don't care how much they offer me to work, they have a better chance of walking through hell with 5 gallons of gas. I'm trying to fight the good fight. Not feed the cancer in our industry.
  16. rgs944

rgs944 Junior Member

Dentco are the biggest crooks in business that you can run into. It is fine if you dont want to work for them but once they hire you it would be great if they tell you up front they are not going to pay you for the service. The reason it takes for long for them to pay is they try every unethical trick they can.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure if I still have the link, but do y'all realize Dentco was the "first" NSP?