1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I don't know what spreader to buy!!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sven1277, Oct 13, 2013.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I'm not usually so wishy-washy with purchase decisions, but am struggling with this one. I run magic salt. I am looking to purchase two new spreaders this year for one ton dump trucks. I like the idea of a replacement tailgate. My choice for this style is the Truckcraft tc 140. It seems to be very well made, is light weight and takes up little storage space. I can carry more material with a lower center of gravity. My concerns with this syle are covering the load in the truck and storing shovels.

I'm also looking at a couple of vboxes. I like the salt dogg shpe 2250 and the new Boss vbx. I like the self contained setup and the ease of covering the loads. I think I like the idea of the auger of the chain drag, which I currently use. Thanks for your input.
  2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm definitely going to get that new VBX,undecided over auger or chain driven though.Specs say chain driven is almost twice as fast as the auger plus there's this dump tray that supposedly eliminates or reduces salt buildup in the bed but there's nobody that really knows for sure if or how this works in REAL life--just too new.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Augers are excellent if you are using straight salt, Sand on the other hand begs for a drag chain.

Look at the specs, a auger will move twice (approx) the salt it will sand.