1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I didn't want it, 3rd storm I took it over

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Antlerart06, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Well 5 acre lot that I pass on it in Oct. In my 3rd storm the company was doing quit in the middle of it. 5 am Sunday morning I got a call asking me to help them out. I thought sure I'll give a test run for my price to see if I really want it.

Well we agreed on a price and at 6 am I started with 2 rigs 11' box on a tractor and my 9.6 vplow . In less of 2 hrs we was done then I started to salt it.

After few phone calls on trying get more bulk salt order with no luck getting any this winter . I think I may have to pass on it or re price the salting for bagging since that's only salt I can find.

The plowing was easy and can be really fast if I put all 5 rigs on it.

Salting could bite me in my a$$ on my other jobs, if I run out and have to start buying more at retail prices.

The guy had it was buying retail Ice melt and retail salt. He told me he spent his first 2 monthly payments of the contact on 2 storms he treated and plowed it for free. I knew he was right I already seen the contact in Oct.

He knew I pass on it and gave his number to them.
    This guy only has 2 trucks and I have 5 rigs + 3 ag loaders and I pass on it

People doesn't think, Only see $$ signs

Dec. 26 we are going talk about the contact for rest of the season
    I rather go with per visit for salting and fix pricing for every 3''
    I wont go with a seasonal contact.

Or pass on it due to fact I cant get any salt only at retail price.
  2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

They are over a barrel here. Let them eat the costs.
  3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly. Them not signing with a company that's up for the job isn't your problem. Price the salt according to what your cost is. Good luck with it.
  4. Antlerart06

Thursday I meeting with a wholesaler to see what kind of deal I can get I may have to truck it my self. 10 ton at a time

ThinkingI'm going try to speak for 20 ton and I haul it. Since they are busy filling orders

If they have any to let go if not there is another wholesaler in same town that handles bags of salt. I do know I have to buy 20 pallets for a load that's 10 ton same price as 20ton of bulk.

If doesn't work out I'll just pass on the contact I just don't want to get kick in my a$$ with this contact.
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

You need to do more calling around. There is got to be a company in the St. Louis area that can get you 25tons each time and haul it to you. That are the KC area.

Worst case scenario, call Cargill directly and they'll fill you an order if need be.

Just remember, on a 4 acre lot, depending on the winter, you could use anywhere from 20-70 tons of salt.

7. bel-nor

bel-nor Member

Antlerart have you tried A1 salt or Gunther for bulk. Hope you had a good deer season, your in northern Missouri.
  8. Antlerart06

Thanks on the tip
    I was trying to get bulk from a closer salt company that way keeps the price cheaper I think I got price quote from Gunther they wanted al most 20 more per ton to get to me

Deer Season Suck big time I did find 7 nice bucks died from BT or CWD
  9. Antlerart06

I run a mix so I don't use just straight salt I use a 50/50 mix grit and salt and grit has been treated with brine in summer time and dried Its stored in my shop I have 45 ton of that.
  10. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Some haul for free
  11. Buswell Forest

from NH

Will they eat the cost of the salt A-art? If they will, then whoever could deliver soonest would get the call.
    I wondered if you ran a 50/50 mix of sand and salt. Never heard of using pure salt before joining here.
  12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

We always use salt here. Pure salt sand makes a mess everywhere.
  13. Buswell Forest

from NH

Around here, it's partly cost, partly well water contamination, partly damage to plants for why we use a 20-1 sand to salt mix.
  14. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Mark the salt up from retail pricing, if you have to buy retail you're covered, if you can get it wholesale even better. No one is going to eat the cost of salt for a contractor.
  15. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you have them by the bulls. If you don't want them only based on salt prices bump your salt price up (and by up I mean big time up) and turn it in. They need a contractor who can perform and need one now.

Can u run straight salt or does it have to be cut?
  16. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Lots of salt in your area..

Central Salt, A1 Salt, Gunther.. Midwest over here by me, i'm sure would be happy to get you a truck and take your money..
  17. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

We use straight rock for parking lots cal chor for sidewalks. I think we have one or two lots that get full calc char. One is a national Barbour