1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I damaged a bank !!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 2003ctd, Dec 23, 2008.

1. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

Ok long story short... I tried to fit my truck threw a bank drive threw and well didn't fit, got the plow wedged... I damaged the rear panel of the ATM machine, the stucco on the building, and the front of the drawer that comes out from the building to the side of your car... The bank is being really cool about it, does anyone know if this bank stuff (the drawer and the atm panel) are big money?? They don't want to do anything until spring.. But just curious if Im gonna have to claim this..

2. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

That's why we need insurance. Stuff can happen.

Good Luck.

3. payton

payton Senior Member

bend over.. its not cheap. and the outfit thats gonna end up fixing the items also know this.. so there not gonna be easy on your pocket book. id go ahead and get the insurance involved.

payton

4. GreenManEnvy

GreenManEnvy Senior Member

On the plus side, you can now say you knocked over [part of] a bank! :jester:

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Everything at a bank is designed to be secure. So yes, expensive.

6. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i knocked a plastic tube off one of the teller thing's in the drive threw ... only cost about $5K to fix. i was going to pay for it out of pocket until i got the bill. i just sent it into my insurance after that.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  7. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I'd call the insurance co. asap. If you don't tell them about it until the spring when the bank wants to fix everything - then there's a high likelihood your claim may get denied.

Also - what's the reasoning behind waiting until the spring to fix everything???? Well the only thing i can think of is that the things getting repaired might get further damaged during the rest of the winter - same reasoning as waiting until the spring to fix body damage on vehicles.

IMO there's no way you'll benefit from them waiting to fix it. The damage will only get worse, and the bill will only get higher.

8. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

did you get any money out of the atm?

9. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

as stated, make sure you call your insurance now. waiting till spring will get the claim denied.

10. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

now i know if i ever want to rob a bank i'll just hit it with my plow..

i always wondered if i could make it through the drive though when i was in the truck/plow... now i know not to try

11. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

Call your insurance now. It is probably not going to be cheap enough to pay out of pocket. Usually, the insurance companies have a one time screw up payout before your rates would go up. Don't wait, usually there is a length of time after the incident clause in you policy that lets them deny it if you waited too long.

12. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

I believe the reason they are waiting is because they are afraid of it getting damaged again over the winter months... I own my own construction company and I will fix the stucco myself (which can't be done until it warms up) The drawer and the atm still work fine.. Maybe I'll get lucky and some drunk person will take out everything!!! lol... As far as I could tell the only damage to the drawer was to the front panel which is riveted on, and the panel on the ATM is just a thin piece of metal with a lamanite sticker on it... So Im hoping I can find a custom fabricater to make me a new panel. and I'll just fix it myself... Once it quits snowong around here (3rd time this week) I will look into it..

13. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Call your insurance copany asap.
    What kind of truck and what size blade. I fit through one last year with a 8 foot Meyers, but man was it tight.

14. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

I was in my new 2007.... 9 footer... Don't ask me why I tried, it was my last stop, and I was not thinking right... 3 hours of sleep in 3 days will do that to you!!

15. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Time to update you sig from plow tbd for the 07 then:)

As for the bank, ouch, good luck with the insurance. If it makes you feel better a co-worker turned a bank drive through into a can opener by driving a brand new Ford F550 box truck through a drive through. Peeled the top foot right off the box.

16. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

That sucks but you didn't happen to have your cell phone with and get a pic did you! That would have been one for the scrapbook!! good luck

17. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

i know its a PITA but i know someone who does a bank in the detroit, mi area . and uses a snowblower or fourwheeler for the drive through lanes..... just a suggestion ... thats why im very cautious on who i plow ... i want to know every square inch if cement and grass and curb areas.... on your case dont sweat it .... thats why we all have insurance ..

18. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

I do a bunch of banks and a few i can get my 8 ft meyer through but very little room for error
    just said screw it and got a john deere gator with a plow
    send a guy around and he has them done before i get there
    gators great but you may need chains
    never hit anything but imagine the damages will be high but not astranomical because these things are made to get a little damage to exterior plates

19. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We knocked over a parking lot light last year at a retail location.:cry:
    We turned it over to our insurance and its a good job we did. It was a 3 head pole and cost $12,000 to replace.

20. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

wow thats steep
    thank god for insurance
    or thank money i guess