1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I could have made a small fortune....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Just doing drive by residentials this past storm. I must have been flagged down by every other person on any block I drove down. I only had time for one, a mother and her 8 or 9 year old trying to move tiny shovel fulls of snow. Two 10ft straight passes, literaly 20 seconds of work and she handed me a 20. Not too bad. Gets me thinking for next year, maybe a small S-10 or Jeep just for these situations.
  2. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

we were thinking of that next year. It's a pain plowing resi's w/ a full size truck. But like you said, a vehicle that size, BAM. Target a few neighborhoods, maybe drop the price slightly, and pick up butt loads of drives in a road.
  3. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

This is the second thread about picking up drive bys due to large storms and guys looking to buy more equipment. Last year and year beofre everyone was going to sell their equipment. Ain't Mother Nature funny?

FYI I haven't pushed snow since Feb 29 :cry:
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

the pick-up money can be teasingly large but remember a couple things - break your truck hitting some object unknown or something of the flagger-downer and that couple hundred bucks doesn't look so good anymore. You can count on pick-ups, flag downs, whatever you want to call them anytime the snow comes fast, and builds up and the people are just plain tired of shoveling.

on the other hand, I did a handful and put gas in my truck twice, filled up the family van, got some pizza and still have some left in the old wallet. Plus handed out a bunch of business cardsussmileyflag
  5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

drop the price HE Double Hockey Stick NO. I charged $40 to show up and another 20 for every 15 minutes I was there. People say yes and think that since you have a truck and plow it wont take that long. 30 to 45 miuntes later depending on the size of drifts and how tight the drives is compared to the house next to it. I did over 60 call ins sunday and monday and did not charge less then $60. People will pay.believe me people will pay, and if they dont afterwards, make a pile at the end of the drive that will not melt off until june.ussmileyflag
  6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i cant wait till i have to do that
  7. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

aaron u said u were on the news? ill have to ask my grandparents if they saw u i was busy like crazy i had my phone on the charger all weekend it wouldnt stop ringing. i didnt even know that many people knew my number.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Price is always double on a flag-down stop. I always tell them the price is cheaper if they are a full time customer tho. I have gotten many full timers this way.
  9. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

if i stop its 100 thats if i stop. i will get a jeep for next year the old lady needs a new car so its 2 jeeps for us . The jeep dealer was the only ones that would deal on a set of vehicles. I just love the look on peoples face if you dont stop like im the azz hole.
  10. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

i bought a 88 dodge ramcharger "dodges version of a bronco" and that thing does wonders for driveways, it has great turning radius to get into tight spots. big storms are great for drive bye's one street and you've made some good coin. later, pete
  11. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

My jeeps got stuck repeatedly in last sunday's 16" w/huge drifting. It took an exp driver 4 hrs to clean a triplex rear parking w/lane that's usually done in 15mins, includes 1 hr running out of gas, gauge showed a 1/4 live and learn going to gas station going to pepboys buying a 1/2 gal?? jerry gas station etc. Gonna try tractor/blower for 60 resi's next season.
  12. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

I hit a 3 inch steel pipe aiming right at my plow above ground level. Must of been a old drain pipe of some kind. I even ask if there was any that I may hit under the 9 inches of snow. I like to inspect drives / lots to see the unknown before the snow fall.oh well I passed 30 people before this one got me helping an elderly man push his wife out their drive:mad:
  13. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, if we have time for any call-in's, I do them, payment up front, and nothing less than $30.00. Next year, i'm going to have most of my residential done by a garden tractor with a 47" Snowblower.:nod: