1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"I can't spend more than $100, ever."

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by cjasonbr, Dec 2, 2007.

1. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I quoted some guy a price for his parents place. I quoted our minimum of $35 (+some shoveling), and explained to him that that was per visit.

He says, "but it will never be over $100 right?". I say that it could be if we have a monster storm and i need to push him 3 times, but chances are that it will never exceed $100.

He says his parents are on a fixed income and can't afford to pay over $100 ever, so he's going to hire the guy next door that plows for beer money, for $50 an event no matter what falls.

Why do people waste my time with this BS? Yea buddy, after your bill reaches $100, we start workin for free! Who's even heard of such a thing? Not to mention in the long run i'd probably be cheaper!!!

I left him a message thanking him for letting me know of his decision and asked him to keep me in mind.......

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

the fifty is more than you charge on a one push storms. if you have lots of small storms the beer money guy is actually charging and making more than you. also since they are retired and dont have to work they may be content to not be plowed until after the storm ends so you only have to do it once unless its the real heavy stuff.
    are you sure you handled that correctly? not judging. just asking.

3. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

Don't lose any sleep over it. They are willling to pay more betting that it will be more than a one push storm. In reality the majority of storms are one push and done, so they are paying the other guy $15.00 more than you wanted therefore wasting money. On the other hand if the storm does required more than one push the other guy is barley covering his expense. See if the beer money plower shows up on a regular basis. If you explained all that to them it's their decision. I had people drop me becaue someone else was 10.00
    cheaper. I'm waiting to see if they are as reliable as I was.

4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

what no free work for you

5. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

It doesn't matter how many times i come, i still push the same amount of snow.

Why would i even be half interested in signing a customer to our minimal rate with special contingencies designed to minimize my income?? No thank you! :p

6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

People are stupid. I have a few people like that. Whatever. Just remember who he is when he calls you in a year or two or three

7. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

I wonder worry about it either. Maybe the beer guy will be unreliable and show up sometimes and not others.

8. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

No offense but if you couldn't gaurantee a resi of senior citizens on a fixed income that their per storm charge wont ever be over 100 dollars than theres something wrong with....You.

The guy was being up front with you as to his parents budget. Sounds to me like it was you that was wishy washy and probabaly a lot greedy.

I have resis that are fifty a push and they've never gone over 100 a storm.

How many people actually have resis that go over 100 a storm.

Geez.

9. toyman

toyman Senior Member

OK so here is a thought, what if we have a huge storm. We're out for 26-30 hours pushing snow. Everything is all done, you kept the customer under there $100 by only plowing twice. So say 10 days later we have another big storm, push snow for 30-36 hours. You plow there drive 3 times, but keep the bill at $100 (take the $5 loss). There total bill for the month is now at $170 is this going to throw them off budget for the month. What will happen if there is another storm right away.

I'm on a fixed income also, if I don't work I don't get paid.

Toyman

10. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

You dont work for free? I thought this was just a hobby for all of us? lol, alot of people are like that, usually I can tell how they are with their money by talkign to them over the phone, such as some people just want it done and dont even ask for a price, and others seem to haggle or even tell me that they contacted 5 other companies and were supprised everyone called back within a few hours, LOL.

BTW: I thought he meant that he was talking aobut $100 per month or season. heck I have resi's that can be $270 per month.

Just like I tell owners of gas stations when they call me:

"I am priced higher and I will not go down on my price, however you can find someone all day long to plow your station for half of what I charge, but I promise you that they do not have insurance, so when they smash into your gas pump, YOU will pay for it spending 5 times as much if you would have just hired me with insurance, not to mention personal liability, and they fact that its a law, so go ahead and hire the cheaper company if you feel that is what you want"

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  11. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

He clearly states that the people are willing to pay 50 per "event" No where does it say anything about weekly or monthly.

Some of you guys should be robbin banks instead of the seniors. But....the senior won this round and so did the other contractor.

"Our Representative" Lost.....what sounds like a decent client willing to pay a fair price.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  12. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I think you should always stick to your price, you win some you lose some. In this case I think that I would have made it work. Your getting more than you wanted for about 70% of our storms in MA.
    I bet the guy doing it is making way more than beer money.

13. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Seniors

Guess at 59 now I would qualify in some places. But I work every day 365 days a year. Owning a business is a lot of work which never stops. Personally I am tired of seniors that us the fixed income as a means to get hard working people to come down on their prices. If thier income is that fixed then maybe they need to just get a snow blower and do it them selfves. That way they get the exercise they probably need anyway instead of sitting on their plump butts looking out the picture window hopeing the guy whos plowing hits something so they can sue and add to thier fixed incomes. Just a thought. lMAO

14. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I don't buy that excuse either. 99% of the time they are weathier than you are. I price my jobs, plowing or electrical, based on how much I need to make to survive and make a profit.

15. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

to many people out there work for just beer money. must be nice to have only one expense:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

16. tinymitymo

tinymitymo Member

I'd love to have a "fixed income".......

My plant is closing some time in the next year......

My income will be broken:realmad:

17. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Fixed income, cant afford $30, but live in a $300,000 house.

18. cog-1

cog-1 Senior Member

I have found here also that if retired people are living here/can afford it, they have a lot more money than me; that is usually how they got all their money by being cheap. Not to say I wouldn't give them a deal in the end...helping one guy out makes the word get out, a good way of getting accounts as long as you are still making a little bit on the job/not losing anything who cares its only one driveway.

19. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

I bought another truck this year as I was thinking of taking on some contract drives. One was a road with 6 driveways off it and 3 other drives. I already plow my own home, parents, family and a few friends plus my business (5 acrea) but not for money. I was considering buying the insurance and putting the new(er) truck out and picking up a few more accounts to keep an employee busy over the slow winter. After dealing with 2 potential customers I came to realise it just wasn't worth it. I quoted what I needed to make a small profit and they told my I was expensive and asked if I was willing to come down. I know this game too well and told them they would be better keeping who they had if that company was doing a good job at a better price. I know everyone is in a different situation but I wish people would just take your price and make a descision, I hate it when they try to make you feel like you are robbing them and then proceeed tell you how they know what your costs are and how much they think it should be. When I am in that position I thank whomever it was who quoted me and tell them 'if your quote fits my needs you'll be hearing from me soon'. It's a shame your 'potential' didn't put pen to paper and figure out what it would cost them over time with your price as opposed to the beer guys price. Severe storms happen but not on a regular basis.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  20. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

what? what!? what?!?!?!?!?!?

I have a MINIMUM charge of $35 a push. If i quote you our MINIMUM and it's "too much" then GOODBYE!!!

How does this make me "a lot greedy".

I don't have many resi's that would go over $100 a storm. But what trade-off is there for me say that i wont charge for anything over $100 and take that chance? Usually if i accept added risk then there's some trade-off.

Greedy me:cool: