1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I can't put a plow on a 2010 3/4 ton???

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by BBE, Apr 11, 2014.

1. BBE

BBE Junior Member
    from MI

The plow selector on the boss plow site. Select 2010 chevy/gmc 3/4 ton. Extended cab, 6.5 ft box, 6.0L gas. 4200 FGAWR, and it says no plows are available for this truck.

Enter the same thing over on westerns quickmatch and all they will let you put on is a midweight. Am I missing something here? That's a pretty big and beefy truck. I might as well get a 1/2 ton in the older body style....

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I have a Wideout hanging off the front of a 2010 2500 GMC w/ a 6.0 and 6.5' bed but I think my front end is bigger than 4200 (that # just doesn't register as one that I've seen). Perhaps that's the difference.

3. BBE

BBE Junior Member
    from MI

Most likely you have the plow prep package that has a 4800 front end. I guess what I was getting at is why are they even making a model of a 3/4 ton truck that you can't put a plow on, that's ridiculous.

4. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I never understood why they do light front ends. Why not just put the heavy front end in all the trucks and call it a day. I can't see what they would change between a 4200 and 4800 front end. Parts are probably all the same!

5. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Ford is doing just that. For the last number of years the F250 and F350 have been virtually identical, same everything, with the exception of the body emblems and an extra leaf in the 350. My guess is that Ford will eventually phase one of the two and just have a SuperDuty.

6. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

i just ran the plow selector on the boss site with your information. It allowed a 7.5.

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Ain't going to matter. Crank the bars and toss it on

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Too much truck on too little axle. You can self install anything you want but no dealer should install it due to federal restrictions as outlined in the FVMSSA.

ANYTIME you buy a CC truck you want to install a plow on you need to be certain it has the (chevy calls it a VYU) plow prep or manufacturers equivalent to assure both capability and warranty coverage.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The only thing different about the 4200 vs the 4800 is the torsion bars. So put the blade on it that you want and don't worry about. A set of timbrens will be your friend and a little sag never bothered me anyways. If the dealer won't install it, do it yourself.

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

They will always have 250/350 for legal reasons.

11. BBE

BBE Junior Member
    from MI

2 inch torsion key leveling kit and timbrens should be fine eh?

12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You don't need the leveling kit. Can just crank torsion bars.

You can get the kit if you want

13. LON

LON Senior Member

The reason us dealers don't put on plows on your type of vehicle is LAWYERS! If & when a lawsuit comes down I'd rather have the lawyers from a major snow plow manufacturer defending me than spending money on my own. Don't tell me it can't happen as I know of 2 business's that have been put under because of putting a plow on a truck that shouldn't have one according to the configurator. And I've had 2 lawyers tell me that even selling one as cash-n-carry still implicates me as I needed to look up the components in the configurator to see what the customer needed. Have I lost sales because of it, yep. Do I get people mad at me for not selling them a plow cash-n-carry, yep.

14. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed!....

15. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Not gonna change a thing. My Tahoe has a 3600 lb front axle rating and Fisher says I can put an HT on it. Nope, it carried a 7'6'' HD for 10 seasons before the mounts rusted off. HOWEVER, replace your bump stops with Timbrens. Mine rode on the stock bump stops and the drivers side one literally fell off Sunday. Passenger side bump stop had been gone for years.