1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I Can't Get You Outta My Head!

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Allagash, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

I Can't Get The 810 Out Of My Head

I've been hanging around here for over a year now and I recently posted a question about Boss plows and got a lot responses telling me to get an 810. Well, I haven't bought my new plow yet but the idea of buying the 810 is really starting to grow on me. I keep watching the videos of the plow in action on the Blizzard website.

My only concern with the Blizzard, as mentioned to me by a dealer who installs them, is that with the additional moving parts of this plow comes the added risk of breaking something. More moving parts to break = more chance of breaking something. Has this been an issue with you guys? Or are they bulletproof?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I thought about that also but then came to the conclusion that you still only have 4 crucial movements. Up, Down, Left, And Right. The other gadgets (wings) are like bonus if they break I don’t see why you still would not be able to plow. Might take a little skill but you won't be out of business:rolleyes:

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

No they aren't bullet proof. The wings can be bent and\or destroyed. But chances are that even if you did bend one so bad that it couldn't be retracted, that you would still have full use of the plow. Probably not as efficient, but you would be able to service your customers until you have time to get it fixed. Somewhere there are pics of bent wings and accompanying stories. Not sure where though.

No plow is bullet proof. Like I keep saying, that is what the biggest problem pretty much everybody had between 15-20 years ago when v plows hit the market in a big way. You also have moving parts on a v that can take you out of commision for the night as well. I can remember looking at a Boss V in the mid 80's and saying the same thing. That is also one of the reasons I did not buy one the first few years. I should have bought one 2 years ago and the second last year, but I was chicken. They did have quite a few problems initially, but there have been numerous design changes\improvements that made me willing to try it out last year. It really comes down to operator and willingness to take a calculated risk on the return on investment.

I am willing to take that risk after seeing what a Blizzard will do and comparing it to the negatives of the v plow.

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I would'nt say that they are bullet proof either, but Im thinking it takes alot to break these things. If you watch the video for the Blizzard 8611 you will see the wings out and he hits a curb at about 10 or 15 mph, the wing flexs back in and the right back out again. But I agree if something does break on the wings at least you can still plow...Good luck with your purchase.

5. Mark Oomkes

I see a video for the 810, but not the 8611? And they are only going about 5 MPH max.

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

The 8611 video should be on the same disc as the 810. I guess it probobly was closer to 5mph or so, but thats still pretty cool.:nod:

7. Mark Oomkes

OK, I was looking at the website, I don't have the CD handy, if I even kept it.

8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I watched the video of the 810 tripping on the curb... They were going real slow, and if you look the trip action has allot of things that have to happen...

1) The wing straightens out
    2) The plow angles toward the curb
    3) The plow then trips

Now this is at the slow 5mph... I wonder how it works at more typical plow speeds. And I still want to see one trip with the wings forward and you hit a manhole cover in the center of the blade.

9. Mark Oomkes

I don't. lol

The easiest way to reduce these problems is to replace the steel edge with the urethane edge. Not eliminate, just reduce.

10. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

It does the same thing at 15-20mph, just faster:D

11. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Talk to Jerre. He will show you a blizzards strenght if you don't believe it. He will take you out in his truck and ram a curb at 20 to 30 miles per hour with a blizzard 810. Did it 5 times in a row for one guy.

12. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Mark,

How many discs do you want? I have about 100 or so. I think in the video they were going about 3-5 mph, just looks faster for video. I'll drop one off Monday when I drop off some more MasterChutes.

GO BLUE. Michigan 27 Penn State 24 w/ 1 second left on the clock.:yow!: :gunsfiring: