1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I can't find a part anywhere

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joe92GT, May 2, 2003.

1. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

I have the old style fisher plow on my truck, and bent the middle part of the plow frame where the springs are attached to.

No one has this part on any diagrams, no shop can get me it.

Anyone know where else I can try?

thanks,

Joe

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Are you talking about the push beam under the truck ? Where the spring loaded pins are ? Any good dealer should be able to get you a push beam for your particular truck.

Or something related to the trip springs ?

3. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

Yeah it is the push beam. I found one guy, but he wanted 500 dollars.. I held back the comment I had for him.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Ouch,that is pricey.I know way back they used to be 300.00 CDN.Now that you know what you need,try shopping around,or check with some of the online places.

5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Joe, you are in NJ right? Did you give Shaws Garage a call? He is a Fisher snowplow dealer. 1-973-377-0421. They are located in Florham Park. Its run by husband and wife. Ask for Pete if you call. Mike :drinkup:

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

A good metal shop could make one pretty easy. I have done it before to replace one. Probably a lot cheaper then $500.

7. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Truck type would help. May have the one you need on the shelf used. $50-75 + shipping. Or try Ct's suggestion on having one made.

When they bend it's usually because the bolts in the end are loose. A common occurance on the old style plows.

Jerre

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Very true about loose bolts. Surprising because I knew some guys that used to loosen the bolts so that the push beam would "float" Often they ended up snapping the bolts off.

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

I was told way,way back by a Fisher rep,that the push beam was considered the weak link,or failure point if you really whacked something.They were designed to bend.He also said the bolts should be loose,so it can float,as the Fisher center pivots are very tight.He recommended we never build our own,or repair\straighten\brace one,as it may not be the weak link anymore.Is this correct ?

We had lots of the old Fishers,and Diamonds (same setup),and never had many failures except as intended when you really hit something.We used shouldered bolts,so they would float.Only thing we would do is drill the bolts out and use one size larger,so they bolts wouldn't shear,or wear through.It would be kinda funny to find out I've been doing it wrong for many years.

10. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

Thats exactly what happend.. The nailed a man hole and broke the bolt. I repaird it, but the beam was twised enough not to hit the metal stop. So, after the rest of the season it got bent a lot.

Truck is an 85 fullsize chevy. If you have one used, I'll gladly pay you for it.

Thanks,

Joe

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I still have some of the old installation manuals for the conventional plows. I have never seen one that advised leaving the bolts loose. All of them give torque specs.

I have heard many people tell me the "float" story. Never seen support of it from a Fisher Manual. I know a lot of installers did leave them loose.

The Pushbeam is considered the weak link in the Conventional Fisher. Although it has no failure points built in. I cannot see a problem rebuilding it to original specs.

12. Jerre Heyer

Chris, Alot of the guys here put the bolts in to align the frame and push beam and then used the liquid bolt gun ( welder ) to complete the attachment. The "float" issue is a new one to me. You would think that the plow pins would do that as the pushbeam is in pockets with stops and very tight when new.

The push beam is the weak link on the truck frame so I don't like the idea of welding it in solid but I do often use the larger bolt method as the holes get worn out. The problem there is clearance with the center rib on the push beam. Sometimes it requires the flattening of the bolt heads. By the way we install them with the nuts on the outside with hardened flat washers and locking nuts.

Joe, I have several older cheve push beams on the shelf. Three measurements are needed. Spacing on the Ears of the plow. Usually 25"- This can be smaller for the lighter duty plows. The second is the overall length- Usually around 26" on the Cheve's, and the third is the end profile height and width where it goes into the side plates.
    The reason for the measurements is variety in the mounts. Most were common but there are others out there.

Jerre

13. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

Just got a chance to measure everything. The spacing of the plow ears is 25 inches center to center.

Length of the push beam is ~26.5 inches. The hight is 2.5 inches, and the width is 4 inches.

thanks,

Joe

14. Jerre Heyer

Joe, Give me a call with shipping info I've got one on the shelf that matches. Jerre

15. Workhorse2500

Workhorse2500 Junior Member

16. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

the bolts that hold the push beam to the plates are called castle nuts and bolts and they should be tight. These are considered a wear item. they are designed to stretch with use and be replaced when needed. they should be checked yearly and replaced if needed. these bolts are considered to be a mechanical fuse. and they are fairly cheap to replace.

17. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I had a Fisher on my old Dodge. I found contacted Fisher ALWAYS gave me great results.