1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I Can't Drive

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TWLandscape, Jun 18, 2015.

1. TWLandscape

TWLandscape Junior Member

Hello, I am brand new to plowsite, but I have been using it's information for only a few months. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to remove snow without a drivers license? I am only 15, and running a successful landscape business. My costumers have grown to trust me, and now want me to also do their snow removal this winter. I thought I would get an early start with my research. I work in an upper class neighborhood in the snow-belt of Ohio. There is a lot of snow, so shoveling is not an option, but I feel bad using a snow blower at 4 o'clock in the morning. Does anyone have any recommendations on a quiet method of snow removal? If not what would be the best snow blower to buy?

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I think the first question is how are you going to get a snowblower from job to job without a license? I admire your ambition but there's a lot more than moving snow to snow removal.

3. TWLandscape

Thank you for the complement. I understand the issues. All of the accounts are on my street. I understand driving a snow blower in the street at 4 o'clock isn't the best idea, but I'm willing to try.

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

A Small/Compact Tractor, there's a kid about your age in eastern Canada on here that go going this past season using a Tractor with a plow up front and blower on the 3pt hitch.

5. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

A heat gun and a long extension cord

Or a Atv with a plow

6. TWLandscape

That sounds like a good idea. That might work. Do you know if you can put snow treads on those tractors?

7. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I bet his set up is close to $20,000 or more
    What's your budget

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Shoe shoes and shovel

Next problem

9. TWLandscape

If I got a setup like this used it might be cheaper? My budget is $5000. I want to spend as little as possible though.

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Hate to burst your bubble, $5k is a little on the low side to get into anything that's mobile with a plow with the exception of a used ATV. You can find trucks with plows for $5k but they'll be hammered pretty hard.

11. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Well kid, Amish can't drive either but manage to go great distances with trucks and materials. They just hire someone to drive for them. You could hire someone to drive, tell them what to do, and you do the detail work like sidewalks, etc. Or you could sub-contract the work, just add your management fee to the bill. Before you know it, you could become a NSM(national service provider)and read on here how everyone knew you before you ever had a snow shovel. Or you could partner with a out of work lawn boy with a truck. When there is a will, you will find a way. I think John Allin said that.

As far as making noise at 4 o'clock in the morning, everything makes noise, brooms, blowers, plow trucks, and plastic snow shovels. It is just a question of how long the noise lasts

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Can you legally drive an ATV on the roads in Ohio at any age? Dude, get a snowblower and walk. It's what I did until I got my license. A snowblower will do a cleaner and safer job than an ATV. Don't worry about the noise. It is what it is.

13. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Maybe a atv with a plow on the front.Maybe even rig up something to hold a snowblower on the back. Just drive it in your neighborhood only.

14. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

You can put chains on the tractor tires; that's what I do. A tractor msy be usable in your landscaping business too. You'd want a tractor with a bucket and the blower on the back. Not sure if you can get a good one for under $5,000 though

15. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

16. TWLandscape

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to get a honda blower. If the costumers don't like the noise they can get someone else. I will be able to drive next year making plowing a breeze. Once again thank you for the suggestions. I will also consider a compact tractor though.

17. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

The blower isn't going to be much louder then a p/u with the blade scraping across the driveway and no headlights shining in the windows.

18. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I wouldn't hire a 15 year old with no insurance to operate a piece of equipment like a tractor to move snow near my cars, house, property, expensive retaining wall, etc.

Stick with a nice Honda blower and call it good for now.

19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

A breeze you say....to be young and dumb full of gunho again

20. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I used to plow snow on most of the neighborhood driveways when I was 12 to 17 years with a ford tractor on every snow day we had. Probably could operate better back then then I could today.