1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I can't believe this.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Deershack, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

I need a driver's door latch for my 88 Silverado. Went to the local Chev dealer and almost had to call 911 for life support when I was told that it was $387.00.

This for a 22 year old part made of stamped metal with a simple mechanical movement. My body man found one in a bone yard for $185. In either case I can't believe the price. How can anyone justify this rip off?

I am getting the throttle body rebuilt and a serp belt for the same truck for $450. What am I missing here?
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

for our Ford we could buy door with those latch for $40-70 here.
  3. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

I'm impressed the dealer could even order the part, that's kind of cool. Not surprised by the dealer's price, but the junk yard is crazy.
  4. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Ive got a parts truck that body style. Give me a picture of exactly what you need and i'll sell it for half what the "bone yard" wants.
  5. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Thanks for the offer. I told my body man to order the bone yard piece already. The truck will have the throttle body by Thur and I want to get the truck to the body shop on Fri. Wont have the panel off to see the actual latch till then and I understand there was a body style change that makes it necessary to order by the VIN#. I need to use the truck for a road trip on the 14th so I doubt we could get things together to meet that date. I do appreciate the offer.
  6. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

autozone has them new for 30 bucks
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Been a while since I bought a door latch for 88-98 but I know they weren't more than $120 so either there's been a huge markup since then or someone is trying to retire from your purchase. Classic truck has OEM driver side ones for $109. door latch assembly. I buy much of my restoration parts from them that has been discontinued by GM. They're an outstanding outfit to deal with.
  8. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

go to www.gmpartsdirect.com they have dealer parts at e-bay pricing. Found my step rails for my tahoe here for $200 where the dealer wanted $600-800.
  9. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

just did a quick look up on a 1988-1991 silverado door handle outside at site for $34.92 plus shipping. they have everything here. check it out.
  10. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Yeah autozone pepboys etc carry those for like $30