1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I can't believe the amount of plow trucks I see !!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Eyesell, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I don't know about anyone else but there are a s*^t load of plow trucks ( not county ones either, we're talking personal ) in my area. I mean even my wife says she has seen more this year then ever before. It figures, I go on my own and now the competition is fierce.... don't get me wrong, competition is a good thing, but with plow manufactures selling entire inventories so early in the year gets me kinda worried. My buddy that plows a few cities over said he has seen 4 new plows on trucks within 3 blocks of his house, they were never there before. Quite frankly we really don't get that much snow.

What do ya think, whats going on, is every Tom, Dick, and Harry getting into this ????

Thanks
    Frank

2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Eyesell, This happens eveytime we have a big snow year like last year. In my area we had about 31" snowfall last year. This year to date we have had about 3" (one plowable event). You will see 75% of those new plows around here for sale in the classifieds by March 1, if it dosen't snow but 3"- 6" the rest of the season. If 3"- 6" is all we get for the rest of the season then you will probably see them for sale anyway. Everybody thinks you can get rich on the side quickly. They don't ever think about the Insurance, clients, existing contracts with contractors, & skills learned over time that are needed to make a snow removal business work. Yeah and that job that they have 8 to 5 five days a week. I am the same as you though it seems every third truck has a mount on it. What I'm trying to say is that it will be OK. The people like You & I who offer exceptional service will always have plenty to do:waving:

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

definately more plow trucks around than ever before! There are eight people on my small street alone that have plows, iam only 16 and i am not the only kid at my school who owns a plow. You cannot drive down the road anytime in the winter and not see someone with there plow on, thats not even counting those trucks that you see with the mounts. Also you drive down any street in my area you see plows outside either on a vehicle or just sitting there. You dont even see the plows that people have in garages. I think the reason for the boom in snowplow sales is obvious. First look at the plows and how much they have improved. Putting a plow on a truck does not require a POS perminately mounted frame (i cant stand trucks with the headgear perminately mounted that got old along time ago). Plows go on and off so much easier then before and like i said you dont need a stupid frame. My curtis and most other plows today take about 45 seconds on and off. And my mount is barely noticeable. Also look at the trucks. Its just in the last 6 or so years that 4X4 trucks have actually become nice. Trucks are now nicer looking inside and out and many drive trucks as daily commuters and are sick of shoveling so they say why not get a plow. Extended and crew cabs have also made trucks something that people other than those that need them for commercial reasons will buy.

In short plows and trucks todayare sooooooo much nicer then they were even ten years ago!

4. cja1987

Eyesell
    By the way never commented on it so i will now: NICE TRUCK AND PLOW! love the red.

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

It runs in cycles , get a blizzard 1 year , next year everybody has a plow. I am sure everybody has heard the story about the guy that bought a new truck with a plow and paid for it in 1 snowstorm. " Honey I need a new truck , If I get 4 wd and a plow we can get rich in 1 winter" Guy convinces the wife on this concept , wife buys new livingroom set based on the anticipated riches to come, we get no snow, husband gets 2nd job to pay for new furniture and new plow truck. Plow gets sold mid summer to pay attorneys fees for divorce .

6. cja1987

lol good story matt true in some cases i thought that a plow was a good way to get rich quick but its not exactly. You can make lots of money especially in my area. but there are so many other things involved in the business then the average person realizes.

7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Your probably right, I'm just nervious, I called all my customes today to make sure they are happy with the quality of service I am providing, or if they have any comments/suggestions, fortunatel;y they were all very pleased. I guess I'm affraid of these guys that have a ton of cash, go buy a new truck with a plow and really don't need the extra money so they steel my accounts just to use their plow :realmad:

8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

i can't type :angry: :realmad: :angry:

9. Manx

Manx Senior Member

there are allot around here
    But if you own a plow you also notice them more

I've noticed that after a big storm the scary trucks start to come out
    these are the trucks that weren't running the start of the season
    that are just now getting on the road

10. SYL

SYL Junior Member
    from ottawa

Mdirrigation,

re:divorce

Is that all I had to do???? Wish I would have known earlier@#$%

:D
    sly

11. jo2fst4u

jo2fst4u Member

I have seen many around here too, O wait im one of the new ones LOL. I have always worked for sombody else (there truck) $20 hour to drive. This year my truck $50 hour !! :D

Jeff

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Every 3rd truck I see has a plow on it around here.But I also see 5 trucks sitting all the time. Some people actually just do their driveway and stop. The contractor I work for calls me every time there is a threat of snow. He can't find anymore subcontractors.
    AT my main job people are always saying " I OUGHT to buy an old 4x4 and plow with it " Then I ask them if they can wrench their own truck and I get silence. Do you have tools? I ask them if they can fix the truck, they say NO and I say well you will never break even. Even if the trucks new, stuff breaks,fluids need changed,springs need adjusted, brakes need replaced.

13. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

isn't that the truth !!! funny thing is I have another friend who is that way, has a old beater that only is used when it snows.

14. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Your right, maybe 2 to 3 of the 10 new rigs will be around next year if they are lucky. Even the customers that go for the loballer this year will be back next year after a year of ify service. Most of the new rigs, just enhance the ability to increase the size of your fleet next year. Nothing wrong with new guy's, we were all new once upon a time, it's just do you have the staying power? Get rich quick it is not.

15. Hamptonplow

Hamptonplow Member

It's that way up here too. Last year there weren't as many folks plowing. That's because the year before was extremely light, and the one before that was very good.

No trucks, along comes a very good season. Everyone gets a truck and is ready. Next season is a bust. Trucks go away. Last season was big, now alot of trucks plowing very little snow this season. I can't believe the number of driveways I've seen plowed this year after an inch of snow :rolleyes:

And I agree with the comment about wrenching your own. It also helps to have a close relationship with the parts store, a tow truck guy and a heavy equipment guy. Tip them, and tip them well, they're worth their weight in gold.:angel:

16. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

We install about 300 new plows every year and every year we ask what happened to the 300 we installed last year. Not that i'm complaining, if someone wants to keep buying them, we'll keep hanging them but its if they are just falling into some snowplow black hole.

17. Hellbent.HD

Hellbent.HD Member

After our run about 3 day's ago, i was sitting having breakfast with my dad. I mentioned to him that while waiting at a stop light, there were plow trucks at every intersection.
    Not just one either, i'm talking a total of 6 at one intersection.

Around here, Kodak, Xerox, Valeo and a few other major corporations have layed off a lot of people. I honestly think this has had an effect on the amount of 'new rigs' we're seeing here.

10 years ago i don't remember seeing this many.

I've had most of my route for the past 14 years, so i'm not to worried about losing them, but i still make sure to do the best i can for them..There's too many others out there not to.

Tony.

18. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I can't help but check out every plow I see!

19. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

cja1987,
    I think you nailed it. Lots more trucks, therefore lots more truck accessories.

20. classicman

classicman Member

Well, I count for three of 'em...

... and two of them have never hit the pavement in anger, and if everything goes according to hoyle, never will. I've been plowing snow since 1979. I plow with an '86 NAPA. I now bid and bill with a brand new looking '94 Dodge w/brand new blade. After major conjugal butt-kissing, wife's Jeep now sports a brand new blade. Only the '86 moves snow, the other two are there to make you nervous about losing business payup . Actually, just pure back-up for a been there, done that don't let anyone else touch my crap small time operator.