1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I can't believe some people

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by johndeereguy, Oct 27, 2009.

1. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

Ok I am not new to this and want no opinions on how much to charge, I get that part of the business. But here is my B----h for the day. I had about 3 weeks ago put a bid in on a school that I currently take care of all grounds maint. for the past 11 years, and wanted to bid their snow removal. This place has a lot to clean off. 4 parking lots totaling about 15 acres, miles of 6 - 7 ft wide sidewalks. I thought I bid it about right, but one is never sure. The wanted it bid out all sepreately. Each site, sidewalks, salt, sand. ice melt, very confusing. Anyways the guy who is suppose to be the one overseeing the building and grounds is a complete dumb---. He has no clue about lawn care of snow removal. SO yesterday he calls me at 10 am and said that I am the low bidder and have the job. He was going to start writing up a contract, which I was not goiong to sign unless it is just like mine, and would be ready today. His only question for me was if I could let him know how much material I was going to be putting down and let him know today. So I went through my figures, called him today. He calls me back a few hours later and said that I am NOT the low bidder anymore, cause someone else is using More material, and that makes me higher. But he is still higher overall, just putting down more sand and salt. Which two of these are 2 year old concrete lots, so I don't want to over apply the salt, and hate using too much sand or you have a beach. So he says that his final decision and Im out. What he does not understand is more is not better, and the other guy is MORE expensive. I want to be there when he gets to work and beat him. I have a meeting with the Asst. Supt and principle tomorrow. Well see what happens

2. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Who got it? Is it who I think it is? Thats total BS if it is!

I have pics of thier awesome plowing skills if you need them.

J.

3. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

The other guy seems to know how they "tally" the bid.. and maybe how to make more money off it? Or the company could just plain ols stink at plowing..LOL

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Just tell him you will match the amount applied and the price and then only apply what you need when you need it.

5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

agreed, kind of crappy of him, i would take a bunch of references with you to your meeting, explain the situation to them and hope they see your points. He is lucky you didn't record that conversation, once he said you had it, that was verbal acceptance of your bid. Maybe he well slip and fall on his head tonight.

6. johndeereguy

from Iowa

Not sure who got it, sounds like an inside job or a buddy. Might find out tomorrow. I will tell them that I will RAISE my price and amount to match the other bidder. This is not the first run in I have had, but want it to be the last. Tired of jealous a--h---- who are trying to control things, and just make a mess of it all. He is always saying "just trying to watch out for the schools interest" Ya and was told he gets paid $45 big ones for this newly "created" job of his. He is a white colar worker, never to do any work. But yet he is the building and grounds guy.

7. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

There are some bids you just cant win.

If the "decision maker" wants someone to have the job, they are going to get the job. The other bids are just for a paper trail.

I run into that with condo management companies a lot. They have their "preferred contractor" and its no accident why he gets all the work.

It sucks when you are trying to get a job, but youre not really competing. You;re just being used to cover the paper.

With that said....I have places where Im the "preferred contractor" and I get almost all the work.

So in summary

When the other guy is the preferred contractor..........Thats bad.

When Im the preferred contractor......Thats good......

HA

8. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

just try to stay positive, dont lose your cool, i did that to a managment company once, when bidding on a fence job...i couldnt buy the 450 pvc fence sections for the price the guy charged to buy & install them, soo...

after ranting how its impossible for him to do it for that cheap unless hes stealing the fence because i buy from the same manufacturer as them..bla bla

the lady gave the job to them anyhow and...yeah ive never gotten asked to bid any projects since

so dont burn your bridges, you may end up getting the contract when the other outfit doesnt show up on time, or breaks something, which, one of these, is bound to happen eventually

oh...p.s. if you research sand, it makes things more slippery! i think you might be smarter with a calcium or mag product mixed in w/ salt

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  9. kickin'a

kickin'a Member
    from Iowa

JohnDeere Guy it must be an Iowa thing for stupid building and grounds people, same s.... goes on here, just his buddies get the work, A good way stir the pot if wish is call the state board of education and ask for legal help, once you talk to the Ia states legal team they will tell their opinion and then investigate the man in question, weather anything comes out of it or not for you, he still has some very powerful people to answer to. and his comment " it's my decision and it's final" won't cut it for the state.

p.s. call him back and tell him you for got to add a cpl parking lots and triple what you said. let him prove your putting that much down. or ask him to see the bid, after he accepts it. it's a public bid and you have every right to it, after the bid letting date.

10. johndeereguy

from Iowa

Meeting today with the school administrator at 10, well see what happens

11. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I lost a post office this way . It was 7 years old i was their until the new postmaster. I didn't get paid for 4 months . So in July I got paid for my plowing .He has a buddy . ( He told me my buddy who plows said bla) I know how to plow this is my 9-10 year . It was a game to him try to put me out of biz. I knew who was going to get the job . so I didn't even bid. It suc#s . I replaced it with a better paying lot Min. for Min .they use to be one of my best places . I can't wait til plowing season. the grass looks bad I don't think the guy has a blower . I hope he has a snow blower 4,000 sq. feet of side walks .

12. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Let us know how it turns out.

13. johndeereguy

from Iowa

Well the meeting went very good. The administrator was mad as hell. Could not believe I was being treated like that and said he will be working on it today. He was going to try and call me today or tomorrow. I said I would still do the job, but then they would have to tell the other contractor he is now not hired. Just a screwed up mess. But glad to see he is totally on my side, and understands that you can't be that exact on the amount of product. He even said I want as little of that stuff as you can get by with, so kids don't drag it into the schools. We will see what happens tomorrow

14. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I'd bet money that the winning contractor knows the buildings and grounds guy. I've been down that road before with a local school. Go to the school board and if you get no satisfaction, then run a ad in the local newspaper to let the tax paying public know they got shafted. that contractor will have so many eyes on him, critiquing his work that he will not want the job next year. I found that the one who gets the bid because they "know" someone, never fullfil all obligations of the contract or they cut corners.

15. PlyGuy

PlyGuy Junior Member

:laughing:, priceless!

16. johndeereguy

from Iowa

Well after getting into a very heated and lively yelling match with the guy for 20 min. I finally had enough and said just forget I ever bid on this, have no interest in doing it, and just move on. I hated doing it, but after a while a guy knows it just ain't working. Oh well, I did put in a few bids to USM for Walmart tonight. They can't be worse then this deal???

17. kickin'a

kickin'a Member
    from Iowa

Should have just kept surfin plowsite, USM will take you under with a smile. You would be better off doing the school for nothing, at least you would be giving back to your community, with USM there is no sense of satisfaction, it's all remorse. :gunsfiring: USM

18. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You "lost your cool","burnt your bridges" and YOU withdrew yourself from the game. Played into his hands just as he planned. Now he can say he met with you and negotiated, but you didn't wish to continue the bidding process.