1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I broke my plow today.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by aeronutt, Dec 19, 2008.

1. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I didn't think it was possible, but the lift ram on my RT-3 broke today. I wish I would have thought to snap a picture before I fixed it because I've never seen this happen before. The ram was exiting the cylinder at a 30 degree angle and sprayed hydraulic fluid everywhere when I tried to lift the plow. The side rams stopped working due to lack of fluid and since we were in the middle of a push with a dozen other trucks, I just strapped the blade full-left and drove it in left circles windrowing for the other trucks to stack.

Once the money-making was done, I pulled the pins on the ram and removed it. It appears that the root of the problem was the nut inside that holds the packing onto the end of the ram managed to back off and release the ram so that hydraulic pressure intended to retract the ram (lift the blade) instead ejected the ram. I smashed into a pile of snow to raise the blade and strapped it to the lift tower for the drive to a Boss dealer. The parts guy said this was a complete fluke because it's the first one he's ever seen. Thankfully, he had a new ram in stock and I was able to fix it in his parking lot in about 30 minutes.