1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i blame it on public schools !!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nekos, Nov 22, 2005.

1. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i just got back from an estimate for 2 driveways , this guy and his neighbor both needed some one to do there drives this year since there old plow guy won't call them back. i informed them both that i will charge $25 for each drive way . over 6 inches i add a 2nd push, ect ect ect ...

i was completely laughed at by both of these fine gentlemen as they proceeded to inform me on the in's and out's of pricing driveways for snow plowing.
    i was told that my prices are outrageous !!! i was also informed that if i want to get any business i would have to lower my prices to a more reasonable level , something along the lines of what they paid last season . they both paid $250 each for a year long contract that included 7 pushes. they also got an even better deal when they added another 7 pushes for the low low price of $200 !!!
    now im not all that great at math but i quickly added it up in my head... these guy's paid around $30 per push < actually $32 > . i was charging $25.
    before i busted out laughing , i informed them that there is no way i can plow a drive way for that cheap. with the biggest smile on my face and trying as hard as possible not to smack the **** out of um for being so ******** , i quickly made my way to my truck and drove off.
    moral of the story ... i really hate stupid people !!!!

then again im the dumb ass that could have gotten $100 more if i told them i would lower my price and plow there drive 14 times for $450.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2005
  2. little pat

little pat Member

It really makes you wonder how some people can find their way out of bed in the morning. They might have both been teachers at the local public school. Scary thought!

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

But you lost out on two accounts that you could have easily picked up at your price (or more). Plus, what are they going to be talking about you if the subject comes up? I just think a little calm customer education could have gone a long ways.

4. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i know , thats the bad thing !!!

i had a bad feeling about these 2 from the start though. ever get that feeling where something just isn't right ?
    anyway , live and learn i guess . i only do residential to cover gas. im going to take maybe 2 or 3 more people for this year and that's it.

5. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

They aren't too sharp and their last plow guy isn't calling them back? Probably a smart move to walk away.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, and when that happens I walk away, too, regardless of what else. Unfortunately, my "instinct" has let me down a couple of times. I even ignored it once - hoping for the best:cry: .

7. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

Hmm you were going to charge them $30 a push. They were paying last year $450 each for 14 pushes for side by side driveways. That works out to be $32 and some change per push. You should have just said ok I will do it for the last guys prices and made a easy $900 for the season off them.

8. little pat

little pat Member

Sometimes it pays to educate the customers. Last year I had a lot of potentials try to get me to bid hourly. I explained why I don't charge by the hour and some caught on right away. This year I'm fielding calls from some of the others and picking up them as per push customers.