1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I anyone here a CSP?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by JohnnyRoyale, Sep 12, 2008.

1. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Wondering if anyone here is a CSP or is thinking about challenging the test?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe you and JD can truck pool to class?tymusic

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

whats a CSP?

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Seriously, what's a CSP? :alien:

Certified Snow Plower?

Conn. State Police?

5. JohnnyRoyale

Certified Snow Professional

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

where do i take the test

7. JohnnyRoyale

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I've thought about it, you sure could learn alot while doing it.

9. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

yes I am took it in buffalo, retook part in conn. The test has more to do with business, & science, than mechanics of running a plow.

10. JohnnyRoyale

So Dave... we on?

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

To become a CSP LOL You've probably forgotten more then I know about snow. I don't think you'll have a problem getting certified but I'm not sure farmer's are allowed.

12. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

You have GOT to be kidding me

Are you serious? :rolleyes:

this certification stuff is WAY out of hand. (and it's not just this, software has tons of it, so does landscaping)

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's actually quite hard to get and you learn alot about running a large snow buisness. The bigger you get the more headaches you have and the more you know the better off you'll be. Knowledge is never something I roll my eyes at.

14. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

It seems like it would be great for marketing your company, being able to say that your a CSP. I've thought about it, but will probibly never do it.

15. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

if there is some type of test i want to take it just for kicks. anyone have a link JUST FOR THE TEST for it. i dont want to jump through hoops or sign up for anything just take a snow test.

16. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

A test for snow plowing professional. Come on lets get serious. The test is more than likely b.s. Along with most other tests and licenses. Not that I am against it. But the licenses are to broad. I could show you how to efficiently and quickly plow any lot with no complaints. Ive been doing this for 14 years in a truck/equipment. But I bet i would FAIL the damn test.

Im a Remodeling contractor all summer. I bet 75% of my customers ask if im licensed and bonded. I tell them that I am, The truth is I am not, There is no license for what I do. And Bonding happens at the city/town level, and thats only for certain types of work. Some people just dont know any better.

I can plow snow and salt a parking lot with the best of contractors, I know that sounds bad, But im not afraid to say it. But ill be damn'd if I got to take a test to prove it......

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I totally agree but I think the test deals with alot of buisiness aspects, insurance, tendering , ice control, not just plowing. I will probably end up doing this test in the next few years just for fun. I wish some one who's done the test would speak up and tell us more of what's it about.

18. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i got the "recomended study material" and will take the test whenever is is close to me....i plan on gaining more in the process than what i will get by saying i am a csp....i agree with some of the above posts....these nameplates are kinda goofy and dont mean what theyare supposed to,and if a bunch of plow guys on a plowing website dont know what it is than a propery manager sure wont...i am nonethe less studying for it...have not read much of the books yet i got them in a package in buffalo...remember it being kind of expensive 2 or 3 hundred?

19. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

The test I took was 500 questions. Seven sections marketing, business, human resourse mgmt,snow & ice operations, snow & ice science, subcontractors. In order to take it (as an owner) I needed reference letters from clients as well. Deals with the laws, theoies (college stuff kinda) & government ends of business as much as if not more than snowplowing. Costs about $ 300 for the study books, $ 350 to take it, if you fail a section you can retake that section for $ 75 each section. I feel it was time & money well spent thus far. You also need to do continueing education. I did learn ALOT as far as subcontracting laws, terms, etc. SIMA has evolved alot thru the years & contiues to get better, the resouces they currently have avaliabe are great, I'm happy I re-joined last year.

This industry is evolving, it is becoming more techincal (ice melting especially), the tolerances for snow in society are becoming less, I have seen it since I started in 1995. The contracts/bids clients send out haven't kept up with the expectations, it has change that fast. As we (as an industry) progess the larger clients are going to start looking for more services & options, bugets, certification is just one of those things. Certification is not for everyone, if you going to serve the dinner down the street & some residentials, it may not be for you, if your looking to serve 10 acre+ lots, that require clear pavement 24/7 it probably is. It all depends on where you want to take your business, if it is a sideline to a remodeling business, then it may not be your thing.

For me snow constitues 60+ % of my business, within 5 years I hope it's all I do year round. The numbers for landscape maintence are getting harder to make work. Being at Mother Nature's becon call 52 weeks a year wears on you. I have a family with 3 boys I want to spend time with, plan vacations, etc.

20. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Well said Mike. I hope to take the test next year, I think its very important. My goals are very similar.
    Paul