1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I am Young And Dumb

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Vaughn Schultz, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

This is my first year plowing. I have a 1993 dodge ram 150 with a 7.5 western plow, and tail gate salter. Not to many accounts 2 gas stations, a resturant and a whole bunch of drive ways. Just looking for any bit of advice that you could give me for plowing procedures, what will break ( so i can buy it now), and over all help full hints. Thank you

Ps. I am not a low baller :nono: nor am i an imposer :nono: just trying to make a living.

2. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Yo dude, im 19, turning 20 next week, and i can probobly help you out with any plowing question you have to ask. i've been plowing commercially now since way before i had my driver's Licsence doing parking lots for my uncles large plow companies.... I know where you are coming from being a younger guy here, but any questions you have i'll try my best to help. You've come to the right place, these guys on this board are freakin awesome, and they know everything. Be a little more specific on what your looking to know and i'll check up on this post and i'll help ya out. I'm still in college and the semester isn't over for a couple weeks, but i am on here every freakin night( if i'm not partying haha), so i'll see ya around

Kevin :waving:

3. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

An emergency repair kit is always nice to have around.
    O and Welcome to Plowsite. :waving:

4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Everything can and will break eventually , THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO , is hook up with someone else with a plow , he can cover your back and you cover his , if your truck goes down and you cant do the job you lose them

5. Vaughn Schultz

Thank You very much for the help so far. What do you do about gas stations and the fuel fill things on the ground. They stick up pretty high, do you have to shovel around them? Also if you are contracted to have a lot done by 5 AM. Then it starts snowing heavy at 2 am and will snow till late morning. What do you do? wait or hit it twice? Any help ?

6. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Yo man, About the Gas fill covers..... Be VERY CAREFUL. if you nail one of those at 4 am then it's def. gonna wake your ass up. Anyways, yea put a cone overtop of them and get as close as you can, then just shovel the rest into an area that can be picked up by the plow... As far as the snowing from 2a, till early AM, Definetely hit the parking lot twice. Say it'll be a 6 inch storm, go hit it when 3 lays down so it is clear for the 5 a.m, deadline, then hit it again when the other 3 falls. I plow with the storm most of the time... You can usually make some more money that way. But seriously be careful of those Gas covers, they can be a costly little hazard.

Later man

K.C.

7. Vaughn Schultz

Thanks man. Don't want to hit one so hard that I make a spark and blow up half the block :yow!: . Try explaining that one to your insurance agent at 2 am. Let me ask you something how do you plow if you are in school? are you living at home? and ditch school when it snows? Also do you have any helpful hints for me , anything that you learned in your first few times. Maybe from mistakes. (so i don't make the same)
    Thanks bud

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  8. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I am not TOO far from you in case you get in a jamb. Everyone here can give you a ton of very helpful advice.

As far as what you can break??? Think about it this way... What is the weakest link in your plow truck? It's a bit older. Is the trans in good shape? How about U-joints, ball joints, power steering pump (that really takes a beating), alternator, front & rear diffs, transfer case.

Be certain to check and change all your fluids at least a month in advance. Typically, problems show themselves soon after a fluid change.

9. Vaughn Schultz

I was more wondering what common thing you break on the plow or truck? trip springs ? pins? ( I have no idea). ( What should I bring with?)

Thank you.

ps. Are The snow deflectors a good idea for the top of the plow ?

10. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Hey i would be glad to help you out if i can.. I will call you this weekend and maybe you can show me the lots. as far as parts go i would carry a set of pins, hoses and a solenoid. maybe even some battery cables. As far as defletors go i always have one on my plows, keeps the light stuff off the window and helps throw the snow forward off the plow ...oh yea i have extra western parts and a 7.5 blade to if you happen to need something in the middle of the night..

11. Hawkc01

Hawkc01 Member

Grassroots, if you want the guys with the most experience to help you out, first you have to do a little homework.

1. Do a SEARCH for all of the questions you have. This is the fastest and most efficient way to obtain the 411 you are in need of. So far, all of your questions have been answered on previous posts just in the last few weeks.

Search away in the Plowsite's mystical passage to beyond!

Good Luck and we'll be lookin' out for ya.

"Do The Search...pass it on."

12. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

You can break welds on the plow and frame , springs and tentioners, pins go too, pumps can fail , transmissions can fry , flat tire , blown u joint , break an axel , throw out bearing , rusty brake line can split, you can get stuck , blow a engine , or get into an accident , break a hydraulic line . ALL these have happened to me at one time or another over the last 23 years , BUT I still got the jobs done , having spare parts , trucks and other contractors to call on gets the job done.

13. Vaughn Schultz

Thanks guys

14. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've got 16 gas stations now. if you angle your blade and go slow, the plow will ride right over the tank lids. :nod:

15. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Yup, and you will find that gas stations can be a real pain in the ass if they are open 24 hours. People will pull in at all hours and park exactly where you haven't plowed yet. Sometimes it takes all my effort not to jump out of my truck and punch people right in the face when that happens. :realmad:

16. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

GrassBuster, I manage School and business very carefully hahaha.... I go to College M,W,F about 45 miles away from my house, right on the other side of PHilly in West Chester PA..Anyways, i have over a month off for winter break, another week for thanksgiving, and weekends. So Days like that i am Golden regaurdless.. On other days however, when the snow hits the same day i have school, it is almost always cancelled due to the large number of cummuting students, and they broadcast that way in advance. I watch the news and if there is any inkling of snow in the forecast, i hop in the truck and i am headed right home to set up.... I mean don't get me wrong, sometimes here and there i have missed some classes, but as long as i dont run up outrageous abscenes i am ok... i mean grandmom has died like 10 times, and my 2004 truck has broken down like 5.... hahahahah :rolleyes: But yea it is do-able, School and plowing is sweet. Anything i can help ya with i'm all ears. :waving:

KEv

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004