1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I am tired of these cheap salt controllers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bunky1, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Bunky1

Bunky1 Member

Like I said. Tired of these controllers that fail to make it thru a season. Does anyone have a DIY for controllers. I am thinking of a rheostat and ON/OFF switch and starter relay. Not sure if this would control the salter efficiently. Any ideas or any schematics out there. If I can figure this thing out I will post schematics. If nothing else this could be a good backup. everyone knows that it will quit when needed most. Thanks Ed
  2. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

What brand spreader? If Saltdogg, use a Karrier replacement.
  3. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

I agree with you. I have had two Western's burn up. It is not like it is a computer, shouldn't be too hard to re-create. I have read around and found some others making them and whatnot. I will try to dig some of them up when I get a chance.

There were two things that I noticed when researching, and one is that the motor should be started full blast to not screw up the motor. Another concern was heat from the rheostat I suppose. Another idea I seen was instead of a rheostat, was using resistors off of a multi-position switch, so there would be a full speed, with no resistor, then maybe another position with a resistor in line to slow the motor down.
  4. dr_destructo

dr_destructo Member
    from Indiana

I had read/heard that you can use one of the digital trailer brake controllers. I suppose that you would do +12volt and -ground as normal and the put a toggle switch on the +12v brake wire input(to turn it on) and then the +12v trailer brake output(I think usually the blue) goes to the spreader. You cab vary the speed by changing the setting on the controller. Never tried it, but should work in theory.
  5. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

That is very interesting. The only downside I can see is that if starting the motor at less than full speed is harmful, the operator would still have to remember to start it at full blast.

My only question and concern would be if the trailer controller can handle the draw of the motor, especially at startup.

Did you see this posted online somewhere? I would like to look into it a little more.