1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I am ticked off!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by buckwheat_la, Nov 20, 2009.

1. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

:realmad: So last year, we needed to go into a parking lot and skid steer a bunch of areas on a commercial property (Superstore), because the contractor doing it didn't have the equipment to handle it, so we went in and fixed all the issues, while there i noticed he was doing a really crappy job, piles everywhere, and in the middle of the parking lot was a old broke down tractor. A couple of days later we had a snowfall, and he was using a Walmart special, snow plow to do this contract, because his crappy tractor was broken down in the middle of the parking lot. We do all their summer maintenance, and i was told that we were a sure lock for the contract this year, well, we submitted our contract, and for a 8 acre lot, i thought we were very competitive i figured $600/push, well i found out today that we didn't get the contract and that they gave it back to the d!psh!t that had the broken down tractor, and the cheap, bent up WM special, turns out that they have a new maintenance manager, WELL this year when they call for help, they are being charged for a full PUSH!!!, anyone have any suggestions on how i should treat these guys?
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You can make money clearing lots for $75 an acre? Wow...my expenses must be way out of whack because it wouldn't be worth it to me.
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Common practice, no sense getting mad. I have lost alot of bids and the property manager asks is it alright if we call you in a big storm if we have a problem. I say yes as long as you sign a contract for the next year.:dizzy:
  4. buckwheat_la

we gave a really strong quote, really looking to get into this contract, we bought a used loader this year too, got a really good deal on it so i figured we would be really competitive with our price to get the contract, this is maybe the biggest piss off of it, because i know we gave a great price for this contract
  5. buckwheat_la

JD Dave, that is what i thought i did last year, this year, though they sign the contract right there for the next year!!!
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Wow $600 is an unbelivable price for 8 acres. Please don't come to Ontario. LOL
  7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Has anyone called during a storm and asked you to take over?
  8. buckwheat_la

I thought it was a great price, i wasn't making a lot on the bid but i was getting my foot in the door, also i was getting great exposure for my buisness. Most of the larger snow contractors get their work through referals around here. All of this is only part of the picture, this is a new store, so when their sprinklers didn't get blown out fall last year, we ended up rebuilding their sprinklers this year, cheap, and when they had no blueprints for the sprinkler system, i had tracked down the plans, figured out their mess and after all this, this is how we have been repaid.
  9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Once for small place and once for a large place. We got the small place and were too expensive for the large place.
  10. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

you know it is unfortunite but there is a saying that too ofter applies, "what you do for a customer today, is forgotton about tomorrow" it isn't like it used to be, if you go back to clean up the other guy's mess again, do it at full price, what have you got to lose?
  11. buckwheat_la

my feelings exactly
  12. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

For next year:
    Write up a sell sheet with reasons why you would be a better candidate for the job. I use company letterhead and the sheet looks totally professional. Use business terminology and solid reasons why they benefit to go with you as a service provider. Things like WCB, internal safety standards, insurance coverage, reliability, experience, better accessibility, etc.
    You have pretty concrete arguments already so it will be easy convincing them you could increase their earnings potential by providing greater accessibility after storm days, etc. Sit face to face with the decision maker and back up each reason with these real world examples.
    I have been doing this anytime a potential client drags their feet. Its also a good way to find out what kind of person you would be working for. If you can't convince that person with good solid arguments, then all they care about is price and they would dump you the minute a cheaper contractor comes along anyway.
  13. buckwheat_la

some very good advice
  14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes when you bid low,you'll never get what you want later because they figure someone else will do the same thing.
  15. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

Double of your contracted price and visa/mastercard only!
  16. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

don't you just love that???
    these companies deserve what they get.
    they hire a crappy guy because he's "cheap", blow up the sprinklers, pay 10x what it would have cost to have the sprinklers blown out to have them rebuilt (which is never as good as not breaking stuff) but then they go back to the other guy cuz "hey, he's cheap"

When I get called to "rescue" someone, I get my full hourly rate (which ain't sub rates) and they get to sign something that basically says "because I"ve never been here before, I haven't staked it and I have no idea what the property looks like, you, not me, are responsible for all damage"

Because you almost never get these properties long term, they are just too cheap.

when they call you this year (and they will), get more than your hourly rate, and get your hourly rate, including transport.
  17. Sealer

Sealer Member
    from Ne, Pa.

They probably didn't pay 10X that amount to fix the sprinklers. He also mentioned he fixed THAT for cheap too. Man, quit being such a cheapo......
  18. wmik55

wmik55 Junior Member

we only help out for our friends and clients we do summer work for. friends dont forget and i dont let our summer clients forget either. we always charge travel and at least our regular rates. don't help the s--t house canaries. they only go cheap cheap cheap!

JKMATHIEU Junior Member

I would treat them how they have treated you...FULL price Plus emergency charge! We are all essentially retail "*****s" so lets get paid VERY WELL for bailing out the idiots who hired the idiots...
  20. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I would normally agree, but in this case he's talking about the moral/ethical/family values giant WM! I can't believe a co with such a great rep. would treat the little guy like this! :D