1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I am ticked off

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Detroitdan, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

This season my new boss asked me to plow the lot at work, I agreed to do it for only $100, basically because I am usually already there with my plow on anyway. The main reason they want me to do it is because normally what happens is two or three guys who should be working in the shop end up spending the day playing in the skidsteers, which take 3-4 times longer and dont do as good a job. So normally on a snow day it's slow for the drivers anyway, so I punch out and plow. Sometimes I'll have to plow more than once, and I don't get paid any more for it. Also, the guys still go out and screw around in the skidsteers because it's more fun than working. Which is irritating to me because I am trying to do a nice job and I have to watch out for them flying around behind me. So today I came back from a run at 11:00 or so and they were making a mess plowing with equipment. I asked if they wanted me to punch out and plow, and they said no! So I ended up SHOVELING for about an hour, then running a skidsteer for an hour. Then they sent me and the rest of the drivers home at 1:00 because there were no runs, I guess due to the bad roads everything was cancelled. So, that adds insult to injury, not only don't get my $100 I was counting on, I had to break my back shoveling, which is not my job, then I get sent home and lose nearly a half days pay! Did I get screwed or what? Man I would like to tell them I won't plow anymore, but I don't think they will care because they have the equipment to do it anyway, and besides I really need the money. Of course, who knows if they'll even ask me to do it again anyway. I hate that they dont give me any explanation, I guess they think that I am at their beck and call, so if they don't feel like paying me to do it, then they will just tell me not to. I have seen how everybody here complains about regular customers wanting to pick and choose when you plow, and I have dealt with that from regular customers, I'm just not sure how to handle this because its my employer. What would you do? Should I just shut up and play along, and hopefully make a little more money off them? Or should I tell them to do it themselves? Another point to consider, I also plow my boss's private residence, which is separate from work and I don't want to lose that one because I don't have much this year anyway, since I got started late.

P.S. Yes, I am looking for a new job.

2. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Tell them to shove it.

You're shoveling??? You're supposed to get $100 which is already too low and now you're shoveling and breaking your back?????????????????????????????

Hand them the shovel and go out and get a paying customer. YES, they're using you.

3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go to them, and say lets make sure we are all straight. You ask me to plow when it snows for this amount of money. I'll do that, and that is the agreement. You should expect me to plow when it snows and I should expect to plow when it snows. No exceptions.

4. almostbk1stday

almostbk1stday Member
    from ontario

:salute: Well said!

5. Detroitdan

I am very close to going to them and saying, you can plow it yourself and you can drive the truck yourself too, because I F-ing quit! I honestly can't afford to work there. There is good news, I have a chance to get rehired at one of my former jobs that I wished I had stayed at. Got my fingers crossed now. Not a lot better money but it is really a much better suited job for me.

6. Detroitdan

that is very well said. I would like to do that, and maybe I will, but I will probably be leaving there soon anyway. I have been thinking about telling them just that, but I think they have already made the assumption they can pick and choose when to have me plow, either that or they just dont want me to do it. I think the other guys are jealous, maybe they stabbed me in the back. It certainly wasnt the quality, I had that place looking perfect everytime I plowed.

7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I understand your situation, you are trying to do a good job and be professional and these clowns are screwing around with the equipment, probley making things worse. It seems like your in between a rock and a hard place, you could let the guys scew around and not touch it but they would probley be mad at you for not plowing and the fact that the lot looks like crap or you could plow but deal with all the BS.

If it were me I would go to the person in charge and say what Oldmankent said or I would say "Listen I can't continue to plow here any more" you dont owe them any explaination as to why your not plowing anymore either. It could be because you dont feel like it, dont want to stress your truck anymore, whatever you want to say but keep in mind you owe them zero explaination, its your truck and your plow, your gas, your hard earned money paying for all of the above. They are not entitled to that if they are going to be clowns.

If you decide to stop, I would be polite about it but state your reasons why and be done with it. No reason to get upset over it or burn any bridges, a polite "no more" should do it.

8. Detroitdan

Well, today should be the clincher. It is snowing enough to plow, so if they don't have me plow today I guess I dont plow for them anymore.

9. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

you probably got done in by the coworkers! They saw you affecting thier screw off time! Don't worry and play the game--I hope your done doing the lot in under two hours? Best of luck with it--It's kind of a no win for you! Best of luck

10. MrBillsLawn

MrBillsLawn Member

get cash in hand before you start...thats the easiest way to solve the problem. then if people want to screw around, let them. dont get back, dont get even, just get cash. no cash, no work...simple.