1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I am stuck

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by emtmike, Sep 14, 2014.

1. emtmike

emtmike Member
    from Maine

These little screws are on the under side of the oil reservoir on my MM2. How do I get them out without snapping them off? I have tried a tone of PB Blaster ant they still wont come out and I am afraid to snap them off. What do I do if I do snap them off?

2. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

heat them with a torch if they break tap them out and get new screws
  3. emtmike

emtmike Member
    from Maine

Kind of afraid to heat them up to much. I am thinking there are all kinds of o rings on valves in the block that its attached to.
  4. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Put a screwdriver in the slot and hit it several times with a hammer. That should shock the threads. After that if they break it's drill and tap.
  5. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Member

That ^ and make sure you are using a quality screwdriver that fits well. If they are still stubborn take some type of flat end rod or punch and smack them with a hammer.

Edit- I see they are hex head also, use a socket that fits correctly instead of screwdriver. Still smack them with a punch first.
  6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Little bit of heat, or the hit it with a hammer part. Using pb blaster on screws upside down really won't help
  7. emtmike

emtmike Member
    from Maine

I have it off the head gear so I can put it on its side to get at it and spray it. I am into the rum now so I will be back at it tomorrow.
  8. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Small amount of heat and a 3/8" drive electric impact gun will get those loose. You need that chatter from the hammer to break them free not just a twisting force. Trust me. Just did some crusty bolts with one and it works wonders.
  9. Remydog

Remydog Junior Member

^^this!!! It should work.
  10. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

You would be suprised the wonders a good "POP" with a hammer will do to loosen up threads on stuck bolts. Yes, an impact can work but if it rounds off the corners or snaps the head off (had both of those happen numerous times) then you've essentially eliminated one usable (with a hex socket) option for removing it.

And don't be afraid to give it a really good hit either. You might want to try a really good pair of vice grips to get it started. And try going back and forth CW/CCW to slowly free it up. Once you get a feel for it (by hand) then you can go ahead and remove it. An impact wrench can also snap that small head off in a heartbeat and it only takes a split second for that to happen so I recommend taking your time and be patient with it.
  11. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

don't be afraid to heat it with a propane torch. Its a steel bolt into aluminum the aluminum will dissipate the heat very fast so concentrate the heat to head of bolt and it will get to the threads.
  12. sameoldthang

sameoldthang Member

13. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

Lapeer...you don't heat the bolt...you heat the female threaded housing. The idea is to heat the part the bolt is threaded into so it expands and releases its hold on the bolt. You actually want the bolt to stay as "cold" as possible. Heating the bolt will only make it harder to get out. And yes, an impact driver will work great. I usually give it a good pop first just in case.