1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I am Sick of the Anti-Meyer Campaign

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MusGuy, Jan 23, 2001.

1. MusGuy

MusGuy Member

I own a 86 ford f250 with a 351 and four speed manny tranny, It has the C-8, An eight foot plow on this 250 and it takes care of snow like no other, I am a sub-contracted plower and I work with a company that has Western and Boss, their trucks are always at the shop, one at a time. Bent A-Frame, Cracked Cutting Edge, Electrical Hook ups go bad, V plow hinge tears, Seals Breaking, One guy on his 2000 dodge, plows for one hour, tranny over heats, has to sit for 30 minutes..... I know that is not a plow issue, but my meyer is tough it pushes like a monster and I have no problems, I have maintenance issues, I check lines all the time and take care of it, but structurally this thing can not be beat. Do not beat up meyer, cause I would take on any Straight Blade Truck 9 foot or less and get more hours on mine then theirs.... and my truck is 15 years old.....
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Im glad you have a good setup,sounds like your a careful operator,this goes a long way.My experiences with Meyer havent been good,the plows that are sold here are like toys next to my Fisher,which has never let me down in 7 yrs of tough plowing.I had 2 meyers,and wont buy any more.Set a 7 1/2 meyer next to a 7 2/ fisher or western,you be the judge,same thing for the 8" fters.The C-8 is a better,beefier plow,and i dont think anyone here has said anything bad about it.
  3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

If you are plowing commercially a meyer E-60 or preferably E-60H with their C-8 Blade (I believe the C stands for Commercial) or larger size Commercial, you will probably be able to keep up with the real plows. If you're using their E-47 pump and or ST Blades that are not really geared toward heavy duty use, your going to have problems. That line is made for light duty use & there in lies the problem (many problems).
  4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

MusGuy, I don't see anything to indicate any "anti-Meyer" campaign. What I do see is a bunch of folks who have used them and not had good luck. If YOU have had luck with them, then stick with them, but other than that it would seem your experience is the exception to the rule. By the way, what's your average snowfall? Maybe in higher use areas the problems show up more frequently or earlier.
  5. RB

RB Senior Member

First, thanx for the post re: you stick for the man. shifter.

And I second your opinion regarding Meyer plows. This is my first year and I cannot speak from experience, but I just bought a used Meyer plow 7.5 and I would put it next to any 7.5 plow out there. It looks like it's about 25 years old but it dwarfs other 7.5 plows (almost 36" tall).

I was out plowing on Sunday and ran across the person that sold it to me. He has a brand new western 8' plow on his new truck. He pulled beside me and said he would buy my plow back any time I wanted. He said without a doubt the plow he sold me (btw he said he bought it used 15 years ago) pushes more snow and rolls snow better than his new western. He also said my e60 is faster than his western pump.

Well, what does everyone say about that one?

That's for all the Meyer users out there! lol
  6. MusGuy

MusGuy Member

Speed of Pump

I have the e60 and I really do not care about speed of the pump, I look for reliability and ability to move my blade with weight behind it.... I know guy who have the 47 pump and they do not have problems.....I mean how quick a blade turns from left to right is not going to break the bank.... while you are backing turn the blade, while you are pushing turn the blade, I mean I have never had a situation where my blade had to go from left to right in .06 seconds flat.

It is all about the driver and the maintenance.... It is equipment that must be treated with respect and can not be abused... I have not had my trucks.... 79 Blazer, and 86 Ford ever break down on a job.... or lost time on it... I had a wiper motor burn out once and that was it.... You get garbage help that is untrained and has no desire to take care of the machine that is when you have problems...

I mean tell the driver, when you gas... get out and check the oil, look for hydro leaks, look for belt slips, look for frame, body and electrical problems. tell them they bend the truck, they pay the buck and they lose money extra cause they can not get paid for a truck in the shop.

And for god Sake keep the truck under 45 MPH in four wheel, so you do not burn it up.
  7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

A 7.5" Meyer plow, that is 36" tall? The Husky line is only 28" tall. Does this 36" tall Meyer have 4 trip springs on the back?

Here's the Husky line.

And yes that E - 60 is fast, and that touchpad takes some getting used to!

8. RB

RB Senior Member

Chuck, no just three springs, but it makes the husky C8 look small. I measured it and it's actually 34' tall.

I called the person that sold me the plow and he said it was a meyer plow that was used a long time ago. He said they stopped making those moldboards about 1975.

UNCLE BOB Member

meyer's plows

I have a Meyer Plow and love it!!!!! my plow came on my truck when i baught it.Iam the 3rd owner,my rig was a special order from GM in 1974. My plow is bigger than 36" my board is 33"and cutting edge 6".For a total of 39" of curved board.And with my 4.56 gears and 33"wrangler m/t"s my rig will push more snow than I'll probaly ever see in MD.My plow also has 4 trip springs,power angle and H.D edge 1" thick.It has a e-47 unit but it's bigger than any other 47 I've seen.I have all original papers except "spec" sheet.I dont know what model it is only that it's heavy duty and also came with solid bars to replace springs for plowing "earth" dirt,gravel,sand,etc. I love my plow!!!!! I may be an amature but Iknow all that see it have (plow) envy. by the way my truck is a 3/4 ton w/a dana 44 in front and 14 bolt corp. in rear both 8 lug. manual trans.and 203 case. If any one knows anything about my plow please let me know. By the way you guy's are the most knowledgable I've heard of.SORRY but i love my meyer.
  10. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I think I'm gonna throw up...
  11. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Ok, now it all makes sense. So it was in the mid 70's that Meyer went downhill so to speak. Mine is a 1980 model. It only had 2 trip springs, but I added a third.

RB seems you have the Meyer Husky of the 70's that Lazer (on this forum) called "the best plow ever made". Wish I could get my hands on one. Not likely in this area. Now I can imagine the plow he was talking about. It does sound like a good plow.

Uncle Bob, yours sounds really tough!

UNCLE BOB Member

Thanks Chuck I've had it for 8 years and had no problems until this week but I hope It's not a big deal.I'd just like to know about my plow. All i know is It's HUGE for a 7'6"er. thanks I love your truck site
  13. zipp669

zipp669 Junior Member

I have an 2 old meyer e-47's, not sure how tall, 7 1/2' on a 84 3/4 k-20 chevy with 1T leafs 350/350 & 83 k20 350/400..both plows also have pro wings & total 9 1/2'. I have added 2 springs on both plows so have 4 springs now..both plows r at least 20 if not 25 years old.
    The major problem i have had is the electric motors burn up..this year hit a pile of dirt & melted & froze snow & sna-pped the front of the a frame right behind the pivot bolt, a little welding fixed it
    I have always had good luck with my meyers & have no complaints.
    I get along fine but until you try another brand the one you have is always the best

UNCLE BOB Member

meyer's plow

Can anyone give me a guess at the weight of my plow ?
  15. earth works inc.

earth works inc. Member

i have had a 8' husky poly meyers for 5 years with little or no problems, but i do prefer my 8'2" boss v blade over the meyers. cant get use to the new fisher v blade control so i try not to get into that truck. i guess i just like my old control box on the boss. next plow will be a boss.
  16. Chuck Smith

from NJ

I'd guess between 700 and 800 pounds.

17. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

i have 1 9ft fisher 1 8.5ft myers and 1 7.5ft myers, the fisher has not shown me any thing over the myer. would not hesatate to buy another myer.
  18. Grant

Grant Member

The Right Tool for the Job

The Meyer ST series are a light duty plow.Many durability issues depend on the operator. A few tears ago, I looked all over for a decent used one for my pickup. I wanted a light weight plow for doing un-paved driveways and yards. The ST-90 fit the purpose nicely. I could plow dirt driveways or my yard in November before a good frost without rolling up yards of turf like my Fisher would. For doing any paved surfaces with stubborn half-frozen ice and snow, thats where the Fisher really shines!
  19. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

I agree with you on how well my Fisher plow gets down to clear pavement. In fact has already cleaned 1 speed bump and two asphalt ramps right off the parking lot. NOW thats cleaning the parking lot.

20. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

A good friend of mine had, up until this season, an 8' Meyer (I don't know the model) with E-47 pump. He bought it way back in '77, was always happy with the pump & controls. (regular maintenance and overhaul of parts was done as required, I don't recall him ever saying the unit left him stranded) Not much of the original plow itself is left, it's been beefed and modified over the years. By his own admission, he sometimes "plows like a madman" so his stuff gets worked hard. This season he bought a 1980 GMC 1/2 ton with a 7.5 Fisher and Monarch powerpack. He likes the Fisher a lot better, especially the bottom trip blade and the fact that the A-frame and angle cylinders sit higher than his Meyer. (More clearance for stacking) Couple of weeks back the Meyer blade and pump got sold. It sounds like a lot of the people who have had bad experiences with Meyer have been using a plow that is spec'd too light for the job they're doing - that's why his blade got progressively rebuilt over the years. Can't speak from my own experience, I've got a "Heinz 57" (Western blade, custom fabbed A-frame, Monarch powerpack) myself!

1975 GMC C-35