1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I am reallty starting to hate ungrateful people!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We have an employee who for the most part does a good job but his attitude is one of entitlement and is always ungrateful. When he got a .50 cent raise this summer no thanks what so ever, and after all of his lying and drama I decided to keep him around because he does show up and do the work. But today, I told him I can not pay him "per place" for sidewalks, so we decided to work the math and find his average hourly rate which was $18.30/hr using all my blowers,salt and shovel PLUS we're giving him 20 bucks a week for his fuel! (he drives a Honda Accord, doesn't use that much gas in 2 weeks!) So he picks up his check today and it total's $240.00 for around 10 hrs of work and his words were bla,bla,bla but this aint sh!t......What! 240 bucks for 10 hrs of work using all my equipment! Luckily we have 3 more employee's to pick from and we can rotate them between plowing and sidewalks.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Wrap up his pink slip with a nice bow.

Or as long as he shows up let him bi tch.
  3. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

if you have others who can do his job, send him packing- tell him to let obama feed his family. You pay him alot more than we would. Tell him that also
  4. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

give him his walking papers, dont need that attitude getting in to the rest of the staff.
  5. dchr

dchr Senior Member

I hear ya-with some people it's never enough. I don't expect any employee to bow down and kiss my feet for giving them a job but in this economy I really don't understand how people can still be so ungratefull-especially when getting paid GOOD money-all your equipment and he's making that kind of money-he should be kissing your a** never mind your feet!! It's tough to find good reliable people but when I do they can sometimes turn out to be royal PITA'S like this guy. :yow!:
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Time to part ways.
  7. Brian Young

Yeah, kinda what my Wife was thinking...she hates this guy,lol I'm kinda going to just weed him out by just not calling him out. I dont want him to collect off me!
  8. Brian Young

Yeah Ive put up with wayyyyy too much from this guy. Plus my Christmas present of last year came up missing out of my truck just after he asked what it was. (I-Pod) Hummmm I wonder where it went!
    How's the season so far for ya Mark? Ours is slow starting. This "Christmas storm" is going to be all rain for us. High temp. Friday is 46 or 48.:cry:
  9. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

this guy is insane, who drives a honda accord to a snowplowing company, !?!?!?! lol, but if someone complained to me that much i would boot his a** on the street, i could get some whos out of a job and pay them 8.00/hr and they would not complain at all!
  10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Same thing happening here, too. I hired a guy to help me last summer. His job - drive the tractor loading a trailer with scrap iron using forks. He only drove the tractor, I positioned the stuff on the trailer. Then he rode with me to the scrap yard to unload - they use a large grapple for that. Told him we'd deduct fuel from what we got and split the remainder 50/50. For three hours of his time, he got a little over $60. My wife saw him the other day and asked if he was interested in coming back next summer. His response "Why, I only got $60. It's not worth it." Worst part - he's our 13 year old grandson. He's planning on going to work on a farm next summer. I really doubt he's going to make over $20/hr or be driving the tractor.
  11. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

not to hijack a thread, but i had a couple of ungrateful employees today, and it really is p!ssing me off too, we received a health dose of snow last night even though the forecast called for none, and we normally start our routes 5:30-6:00, well at 6:30 only one crew had showed up, so i started phoning around, well one guy says "i don't really care, i made my 160hrs for the month", (but eventually drags his @ss in), and one of my foremen comments "i don't know why we have to start this earlly, it isn't that much snow" WTF?!?!?!?, i keep trying to impress upon my guys that it is important to make the money while the making is good, next month they may make sh!t, but with additudes like that, i am thinking there must be some unemployeed guys out there desperate for work!!!
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would only call him in if you really really need him. Hopefully he'll start looking for something else. Maybe then he will realize how good you were to him.
  13. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

$240 per 10 hours he should shut up.

You should be strict and tell him that it last warning or you fired.
  14. AGMI

AGMI Member
    from NE Mass

What we do is all about relationships. I would suggest you sit down with him (because he shows up and works...probably knows the properties too) and let him air out his issues and see if you can come to a compromise. It has been my experience that if I let an employee tell me what he wants (as long as it is reasonable), and I can give it to him, I get huge rewards by listening. I feel that a trained employee with an issue or two is better than training a new guy (I hate training though...costs me too much $$$)
  15. AGMI

AGMI Member
    from NE Mass

One time, I had a top guy not show up for an after storm cleanup and I suspended him. When he came back after a week I paid him for the week he was suspended and told him one more issue and he would be gone. He told me about an issue or two he had which I addressed to his satisfaction. He is now my top producer and number 2 guy!!! (I use 12-30 guys on a storm)
  16. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

should remind him that employment times are tough nowadays. if he wants to complain that much, I would fire him.

i had an employee this year with landscaping who just wasn't reliable, so i fired her. she didn't know that I had a whole list of other potential hires.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  17. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

I was fed up with my shovelers from last year.

I put an ad on craigslist. In 2 hours I had WELL OVER 100 responses. 3 weeks later im still getting calls and emails.

There are so many people looking for work right now its not even funny.

Get rid of him
  18. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

I say dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya, because its a GOOD WORKING door. LOL !!!
  19. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

that's a great line. I'll have to remember that one! :laughing:
  20. palmtree907

palmtree907 Member

I was gonna give Brian Young serious **** for only giving a 50 cent raise, but then I read the rest of the post, and yeah 50 cents isn't crap, but the employee's disrespect and the great wage make me think give the ungrateful SOB the boot.