1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i am having some trouble with the 2000 silverado i bought

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ngracing96, Nov 2, 2010.

1. ngracing96

ngracing96 Junior Member

i bought a 2000 silverado 2500 hd. it had a western mount and was already wired. i went to pick up my plow and nothing worked! some of the relays are getting power but my controller. should i re wire it or try and fix the broken and corroded wires? and if i should re-wire it, is there a kit? and if so, who sells one?

2. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

so there are broken and corroded wires? I guess you could try and splice in. personally I would just call up a local western dealer and tell them what's going on, They'll probably need a number off the wiring and they can get you a new one. It might be cheap to fix, but it doesn't mean its the best option. It sounds like it may need more than just wiring. Wiring is usually not the first thing to go, solenoids, relays.....

3. ngracing96

ngracing96 Junior Member

Yea I asked the place I bought it from. They said at least $3-500 to re- wire mine.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

does your controller light up? which wires are corroded?

5. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

I assume you bought the truck from a dealer and they supplied no warranty for the plow stuff?
    If so go to a Western dealer. Not a truck dealer, their markup is huge. A Western dealer will be able to understand more thoroughly(typically) what is going on with the system.

6. ngracing96

ngracing96 Junior Member

I bought it from a private party. I got the plow from a dealer in big lake. They gave me a wiring diagram so I could try and figure it out but all my wires Are in a huge tangled mess

7. ngracing96

ngracing96 Junior Member

And no my controller has no power and the corroded wires are most of the ones connected to my relays

8. no lead

follow the harness that the contoller plugs into. there will be a red wire that goes to the fuse box. check the inline fuse and were the wire gets it's power.

9. ngracing96

ngracing96 Junior Member

I found it and the fuse is good. We tried 2 controllers when I picked up the plow

10. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

i'd just download the wire diagram and start replacing all the wires u can buy for a lot cheeper than 500 bucks

11. ngracing96

ngracing96 Junior Member

Yea he gave me one. I was just Hoping there was some other reason for my issue. When I plug the plow in my head lights turn off but the plow side stays off. Ill just start from scratch. Anyone know what relay It uses? If has 6 and is for a 2000 silverado 2500hd

12. no lead

the fuse was good but does the control have power? which control do you have?

the lights are the easy part. making the plow function is the key. verify power and ground were the control plugs in first.

13. ngracing96

ngracing96 Junior Member

Its a universal controller. Ill check the ground. It slipped my mind

14. ngracing96

ngracing96 Junior Member

Controller is fried. Ran a ground straight to the frame and it started smoking. That was a $100 waste. Anyone selling one?

15. ngracing96

ngracing96 Junior Member

got a new controler. whole mess of problems. i replaced 2 relays of the relays that had broken pins, but nothing works. my truck lights stay on, i bought a new solenoid as well. i replaced the wire ends and any that were corroded. the controler has power but does nothing.