1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I am charging $800 per push walks included

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by navyman, Feb 12, 2015.

1. navyman

navyman Member

corners outline for plow.jpg corners outline for plow.jpg Ok. I am plowing these locations on a per push 2" trigger. The middle largest lot all or 80 % goes to the west end approx. 400' push. the other side of road to North gets pushed where ever closest but off lot. The other side of road to east gets pushed to the south 300' mostly 80%... rest wherever off lot. salting is $150 per ton/labor... materials supplied by sight owners. some are complaining about the price( mostly the larger market owner and hardware owner since CAM charge is based on square footage of store. I am charging $800 per regardless of the storm. if it continues to snow we start all over again and charge accordingly. I am making money but not getting rich.

corners outline for plow.jpg
  2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

You're not charging enough if that was here. Way too cheap, but every area in the country can only support the local cost to do the work.

How many man hours ? What machinery ?

What happens with big storms ? Multiple push ? Working with the storm ?

Tell whomever is complaining to move the facility to nj and pay triple that easy. That will teach em..!
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  3. navyman

navyman Member

F-150/boss 8'6" straight... Ford A-62 with 12'box.... Steiger ST-310 with 18' box. takes 8-10 man hours including walks and detail work around gas pumps etc.
  4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Not charging enough, but thats just me.

Now that you mentioned gas pumps, I wouldnt have been able to do that job anyway, as my insurance company wont allow gas stations, hospitals or any othe high risk properties without quadrupling my premium.

If you ask me, they should be kissing your butt for what you're doing that dor...
  5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

That's way to cheap from looking at photo

How many acres of pavement is there ?
  6. navyman

navyman Member

5-6 acres.... I am pretty sure the management is upcharging.
  7. NThill93

NThill93 Member

i honestly don't see how you're making money on that at all
  8. navyman

navyman Member

It's figuring $100p/hr. I have about 4-5 hours with pushing equip. and about3-4 with shovels , blowers and truck for detail. it's intense but we do it. I don't think I could do it with lessor equip. though. and the equip. is paid for first year+ but I still think they are getting the benefit of my equip. because I bought at a good price and fix myself. Most of the work is done by the Ford loader with 12' box I keep the steiger 310 HP- 18' box available for breakdowns of loader and catch-up. The Steiger is not real handy but makes up for that with sheer bruteness 18' and 10-12 mph. I have taken care of this site lawn for 25 years...last year was the first year I accepted the snow removal. I never really wanted it but didn't want another company stepping in. The last company was doing it with trucks and a small Kubota tractor, could never really complete at one time though and pushed the snow whever they could.
  9. EPM

EPM Member

Looking at it I feel its too cheap, but i'd have to measure it and take a better look zoomed in. Looks like more than 5-6 acres to me but I've also been up since yesterday. I think we're in similar markets depending on where you are in central Michigan.
  10. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

i would tell anyone that contests your price is too much to consider that it would only take 4 residential driveways at $25 a pop to make $100/ hr.
  11. Antlerart06

So you never measure it, have you

With a answer of 5-6

If you charging $100 per hour with a 12ft plow your cutting your own throat

I do a lot that's open its 5 acres The min I made on it last year was 650 per visit with 1'' trigger took 4 labor hrs
    Your up in the snow belt figure your area would be higher.

only you know your over head .
  12. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Measuring a lot doesn't always give you what you need for bidding. If you cant look at it and have a good indication of how long its going to take there is something wrong. It does seem a little on the light side even for Michigan.
  13. snowngo

snowngo Member
    from midwest

I thought Indiana rates were low .
  14. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Let me bid it for you next time ;)

Sounds fair to me looks like a 2-3 hour job
  15. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

But...I would up your price and get rich
  16. Antlerart06

Measuring gives more then you think

I guess you just guess when figure for salt then

Its first step
  17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

First of all, don't get overly concerned with the folks from out of state that are telling you you're not charging enough.

One of them wants 3 trucks, a loader and $750 or some ridiculous amount for a 60,000 sq ft parking lot. The other doesn't windrow anything, and has also overestimated time on many a parking lot. I know, I better put my flame suit on, Antler won't be happy.

Second, unless they are in your region, no one should be telling you how much you should be charging. NY\LI\NJ prices are stupid high. MO doesn't get as much snow, so they have to recover costs in a shorter time frame. And some areas are just not able to get as much per hour as others. Like it or not. I'm going to guess Lapeer is probably closest to you.

So you have 9 hours into this property max. 5 hours x $100=$500. 4 hours of shoveling (which I assume you are not charging $100\hour for) at even $75\hour is $300. So you arrive at $800.

No one gets rich at snowplowing. Yes, we make money, but not get rich. You might be a little low, but if you're making money, you're where you need to be. I wouldn't lower my price at all, unless you are way off on your estimates.

As an aside, IMHO, 1 hour per truck with an 8' plow is low. I know I am using far more efficient plows, but still, unless there are a crapload of obstacles, that is much too slow.
  18. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed 1000%.
  19. navyman

navyman Member

Thanks for all the replies. for those who question the acreage, it is pretty chopped up so really hard to nail it to the sq ft. I know it is 5 acres at least and 6 acres at most...5-6 acres.... and salt applications are at best, a "guess job" per acre IMO since not all areas need salt at the same rate and some need no salt at all, so why put salt when it doesn't need it. I had a meeting with the site owner last night, and he doesn't really care what the two main tenants think about my price, he says to keep doing everything as I was. He and I have had a business relationship/friendship for over 25 years but the snow removal part has only been for 2 years. I think my price is good, and some here agree, and I am making money.
  20. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Here is my point on measuring. The lot or plowable area at the bottom of the page appears to be 4 to 5 times larger then the one at the top but I would say the larger one would only take twice as long to plow.