1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I am at the end of my rope! please help

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by james1115, Jan 8, 2011.

1. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

I have had just about enough of this plow. It seems its always something going wrong. Luckily I have 3 trucks plowing or I would have been up SH&TS creek without a paddle. My blizzard 810 will not drop. I checked over everything that I could while I was out on the road with the tools that I had and I have no idea what is wrong. It started out going down very slow, then it stopped completely. Now it won't go down from the controller in the cab, or from the switch on the plow. From inside the cab it does nothing or moves about an inch really really really slow, and from the plow it just sounds like the motor is running but nothing happens or it moves about an inch or so really really really slow lol. Please help me out. I took out both valves and they are working(one was stuck but I free"d it up with some pb blaster but still nothing)
    thanks for your help!!!.

2. Whitey

Whitey Member

Sounds electrical to me your motor shoumd not run when letting it down from the truck control or the power hitch switch. Check your ground real good and I have personally had the wire that goes to the coil pack break actually got smashed between the cover and the manifold and broke . this only affected thd down all other functions worked fine.

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Sounds like the drop speed adjustment screw is turned in too far. I had that happen last year. Luckily, it's easy to check, and fix.

4. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

It is most likely one of the valves. Pull them out one at a time. if they come out in pieces they need to be put back together and lock tightened. This can be tricky getting the inner part of the valve out. I had some issues last week and this was the first thing we tried. This wasn't the issue with mine but I was told your problem is what happens when they go bad.

Where in CT are you located. Maybe I can stop by and show you.

5. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

I am in Wilton Matt is that anywhere near you? I am about to start working on this thing in a little bit. I will try all of the things that you guys said. I checked the wires going to the solenoids and they looked to be alright. There were a few that had nicks in them but were not broken. I hate the cover, it breaks wires all of the time. as far as the drop speed adjustment screw where is it located? I have had this plow for 5 years and have never touched a drop speed screw so I dont know why it would start acting up now. I am betting toward electrical but we'll see. Hey Matt if you are near my area give me a call. 203-984-2764

6. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

This is what you don't want

Valves.jpg

First thing is get the plow on the ground. Might have to crack the hydro lines to the lift cylinder to get it to fall. When you do this watch your toes and fingers. You don't want to loose one.

Right under the cover should be the layout for the valves and the motor for reference.

Getting the inner piece out that is threaded is tough. The best way is to take a used valve and grind the outer threads off (the piece all the way to the right)so you can screw it in and grab the inner one to pull it out. (not pictured) if you can use a puller and get the piece all the way to the left out then great. Once you get it out put it back together and tighten the pieces using a deep socket (spark plug one usually works) and needle nose Vice grips small enough to grab between the "O" rings of the piece not shown. if you damage the O rings you will be screwed. use some loctite and tighten before reinstalling. Wait about 1 hours after the last one installed and then give it a shot.

Valves.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  7. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

James, before you pull your valves, check your coils on the float and lower valves for current by sticking a screw driver in it while your controller is in float. (This is with the coil off the valve) You should feel the magnetism while energized. You can also back probe the 10 pin metripack plug on the plow side harness, if so equipped ). Don't probe the wires themselves .

8. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

alright so I took the S5, S7, and S6 valves out and they all seemed ok but I cleaned them anyways, should I check S8 and clean that also? if I shake my harness going to the truck my plow will stop working and just click sometimes then go back to making the motor run. Now I don't have up or down but left,right,right wing ext, and left wing ext all work. When I removed S5 my plow dropped to the ground so when I put it all back together and hit the toggle switch to release the a frame latch from my truck it came right off but when I tried to put it back on it did nothing just a motor whine. from inside the truck from my controller(shoebox) it was the same thing no up or down. I have no blizzard dealer who knows anything about my plow (2001 model) within 60 miles. They are calling for a possible blizzard( no pun intended) for tuesday into wednesday and I have to have this fixed. what would cause my motor to run when I hit the down button from the toggle and from the controller?

9. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

Sorry John I didnt see your post before I wrote mine. I will try that in the morning along with trying to clean the S8 valve.

10. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

also I forgot to write that I noticed a burning smell from the plow side harness where it attaches to the truck when I took it off the other day. I looked at it and some of the rubber had melted on the truck side harness and kind of made a doughnut around the B+ female plug so I cut around it with a razor blade and made it flush again. What could have caused this? could my controller be bad? could the plug where the controller plugs into the truck have gotten wet maybe causing a short? the plug is down by my feet so it is possible for it to get wet I guess.

11. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Ok now that you told us about the burnt spot this only points to a wiring problem, your valves seems to be ok, remember electric needs to run in and out meaning if you charge something with electric it needs to have a way to escape. This problem sounds like a ground problem or a bad terminal connection, what I would do is the following. At the batter take all wires off clean terminals, clean wires and spray with red terminal spray then cover wires and terminals with anti seeze grease, now repeat this process at the pump and it does not hurt to spray the entire pump an valve assembly with the red terminal spray, like I said bad connections maybe the problem.

12. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Are the valves coming out in one piece? or like my picture. If they are coming out in one piece that is good.

13. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Yup. Doesn't hurt to clean the valves, but that's not your problem, with the added information given. Check your harness for any rub throughs, check your diode pack. What's your amp draw? Obviously something's getting hot, meaning you are drawing too much.

14. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Things i would check. Check to see if coils are working (mag with screwdriver test) if it pulls screwdriver you are good. If it dosn't pull in test to make sure you have power to the coil. if no power check ground and than remove the plowside wire plug(not to truck) and test for power. Still no power check truck plug power is plug closest to angle section in the middle plug will only have one plug with power when the truck is in float. if you have power there the plow side is bad pretty common problem. If you have power than follow the next quick steps remove the lift cartridge and place it in the s5 postion and S5 in it's postion and see if it will lift or lift very slow. if it does but slowly than the cartridge is bad. if will not lift at all not clean or replace cartridge in lift postion(old s5.).

15. damian

damian Senior Member

be carefull here,there is only two guys replying that wont make more work or trouble than you already got.you need to take stock of what you have going on before you rip into anything. #1,do you have magnetism to the appropriate coils for the command.if so,look at the valve,if not, check coil resistance (should be same as others)if ok,work back from the coil and find where your power and ground is going wrong. the old 8 hose plows can be a challenge to keep running, its been around awhile, might want to think about upgrading.dont go nuts going here to there willy nilly without a sound diag plan.good luck.

16. ctbman

ctbman Member

One more thing you might want to look into.You said the valves looked ok make sure they are square to the valve body and not bent at all.A five thousanth bend will make the valve stick.It happened to my old 8 hose 810.

17. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

ok so the S8 valve was frozen. I tried to free it up but it was beyond repair. Any ideas as to where I could find these? DS 083h is the number on the valve. Thanks guys

18. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I have seen vavles on ebay lately, check there.

19. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I bet they're in stock in Erie. I bet they can ship them PDQ too.

20. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

So I called around and checked all the blizzard dealers withing 75 miles of me and no one has this valve in stock and blizzard will have to custom make one and it will take 3 days. I am so screwed right now! I am about to go buy another plow. Does anyone know anyone who might have it in stock or laying around?