1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I am asking nicely...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by PrimoSR, Sep 5, 2010.

1. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

Anyone in the Lake Minnetonka area that would be willing to help a noob get ready for snow season? I am fairly mechanical and have downloaded the Western Manual but what I would really like to see is what you do to prep your plow for winter.

Thanks,

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

There's no big secret that's being withheld from you in terms of plow prep. A lot of people change their hydraulic fluid and filters and replace any hoses that may be showing signs of wear. I'm sure there are a few other things that can be done but for the most part the key to not breaking down is keeping your equipment in good repair.

You might benefit from taking a look at Western's emergency parts kit. Make sure you have all that stuff at your disposal and you'll be fine.

3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure you have extra fluid, and hoses. Trust me, you will break a hose in the middle of the night somewhere along your career. Basically changing the fluid, making sure you have some extra pieces and stuff like that is all you need to get ready.

4. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

the biggest thing is routine mant. and CLEAN wires. lastly, don't break it. When it feels like you're done w/ a push, don't throw the gas to it, my troubles come when I want that last 20 or so inches of room for the next time. Just my 2 cents

5. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

PM me with what you would like to know? I am in the lake Minnetonka area all the time.

6. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

Thanks - What do you keep in your truck/tool box?

7. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

Thanks - that is what I thought but it seems to simple/easy.

8. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

What do you mean by 'clean wires'?

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

When you put the plow on your truck and hook up the connections out front they need to be clean and have dielectric grease in them. Also where the power and ground connect under the hood need to be clean.

If you do a search there was a thread about what you carry with you when you plow.

10. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

Western makes a nice kit with parts in it for specific plows and then just basic hand tools.