1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I am always living and learning!!!! HELP

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jmcamille, Nov 29, 2008.

1. jmcamille

jmcamille Junior Member

You guys were awesome in helping me with trying to get my truck running... but my engine has a hole in the side of it.

I bought this truck as a NO START from a former friend that said it was a fuel pump issue!

Does anyone have any good leads on a remanufactured engine or a good used?

Please help....
  2. Easy

Easy Senior Member

What do you mean by a hole in the side? A thrown rod, or some type of freeze plug rusted out?
  3. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

yea is the hole from internals coming out ? also last I knew a brand new cummins motor has come way down in price that may be a option ($4-4500) maybe less.
  4. jmcamille

jmcamille Junior Member

Not a freeze plug... when I crank it over i see Crank and connecting rod
  5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

try your local junk yard. is it gas or diesel?

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

What is the year make and model?? Engine type and trans?? In this economic times there aare some great deals out there. Perhaps you can use the truck you just bought for parts or vise versa. All I know is 12hrs R&R for a Cummins. Plus the engine.
  7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

What year is your truck? Is it a 53 block? They are known to crack open.
  8. jmcamille

jmcamille Junior Member

It is a 1997 12valve 5.9L Diesel. If anyone has one please Call me!! or email me at bjojmc@sbcglobal.net 248 207 9392
  9. TEX

TEX Senior Member

check on craigslist or at a junk yard for an engine or a cheap entire truck. so that you can have parts. how someone blew a hole in the block hummmmmm and you will prob be better off just swapin in another 12V. any truck up to 1998 had the 12V (diesel that is) 98.5 started the 24V
  10. lake_effect

lake_effect Junior Member

Just picked up an Auto Trader today.....

If you are close to Otsego, a guy has a (complete) '95 Ram 3500 4x4 Cummins for sale in the "Parts & Repairables" section. No damage, just rusty...LOL.

Says engine runs great....doesn't say how many miles.

Truck is complete minus grille, front bumper and one headlight.

He's asking $3000.00, but says "call with offers!!!"

Doesn't sound bad for an "almost complete" parts truck. Hard to find a decent used Cummins.....they just keep going and going and going...

His number is 269-870-5780 if you're interested.
  11. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

That would be the way to go, even if you just used the block. Part the rest of it out or post in on a mud truck website.
  12. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

I,ve got a complete 1997 12 valve with 88,000 miles sitting on the garage floor . send me a PM .