1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I almost dropped my skid into a waterway today

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by justinzich, Mar 3, 2010.

1. justinzich

justinzich Member

I didn't get pictures as they wouldn't have shown much. My neighbor asked if I could blow out the waterway behind his house as last year it iced up and flooded his basement. I slid over and got stuck just as I was finishing by the culvert . The only thing that kept me from falling sideways into a 6 foot deep hole was the snow drift over the hole. I could push my scoop shovel down till the handle disappeared without hitting the ground. Definitely my scariest stuck yet.
  2. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Glad to hear it worked out for you and everything is O.K.
    Pics or vid would have been good but this way you will be able to live it down.:D
  3. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

seen a couple tractors in the river down on the fox. the locals down there always try to mow the waters edge and the soil get so eroded from the underneath that the ground falls out from under them. glad you avoided sinking yours.
  4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I'm a Vol. Firefighter and we had a similar call in the fall. Guy was mowing with a Zero turn mower, got to close to the creek, bank gave way and the mower we in pinning him under in the creek. He drowned but do to a quick response he was revived and made a full recovery. Stay away from those banks...they are soft and will give!!
  5. justinzich

justinzich Member

Well luckily this time of year the water way is empty and our ground is still frozen which is why I did it now. When the water way through my yard it is pretty flat(and doesn't follow the county's drainage easement cause the contractor did a poor job) but right by the culvert there is a huge hole from erosion. I would have taken pics but all it would have looked like for now was a 4 foot snow drift with my s205 leaning against it a little. It was probably a good thing I decided to stop trying to get out on my own and just pull it or I would have worked my way over till I fell in.
  6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Glad ALMOST is the key word there!