1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hyrdraulic Fluid replacement

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hot_raud, Mar 5, 2004.

1. hot_raud

hot_raud Member

I have a Meyer E47. I stopped in at the nearest dealer to pick up some M1 fluid, but they didn't have any. Other dealers are far away.

I read some previous posts about people using ATF (I guess automatic transmission fluid?), aircraft hydraulic fluid, and hydraulic oil for jacks. I saw some hyraulic oil at my local Advance auto parts...is it okay to use this? Are there different weights or grades I should be aware of? Where would I find aircraft hydraulic fluid?

I'm just looking for the next best thing to M1 that is readily available at an auto parts store.

Also, how much fluid is required (I don't have a manual for my plow - bought it used) for the lift pump and angle rams?

Thanks.
    Al

Last edited: Mar 5, 2004
  2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

A good grade winter hydraulic oil will work fine. ATF is not advised.

3. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

Do not use anything but the Meyer M-1 fluid or you will see very slow operation in cold weather. I have tried other fluids also and nothing works better than the factory oil.

4. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

no atf, good winter blue hydraulic fluid dosent have to be m1 fluid

6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

There are several "plow oils" out there that meet Meyer specs, and say so on bottle. Check with your local auto parts retailer. I have found that they all carry, or can get pump oil. Also check any farm supply stores. Tractor Supply in my area carry some parts and pump oil...Chuck

7. Frenchman

Frenchman Junior Member

We use ISO 22 hydrolic fluid, works like a charm

8. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i've plowed snow for 20 yrs, used ATF, no grief

9. hot_raud

hot_raud Member

Thanks everyone - turns out, NAPA Auto Parts stocks M1 Meyer Hydraulic Fluid. Problem solved.

10. Crockett

Crockett Junior Member

Vector6, Thanks for the manual link. I also bought a used plow and was constantly referring to a few sites for info on my e47. I am sure that this will save me precious time in the future.

11. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

been over a year, (sorry out of country) .. but your welcome.