1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hypertech

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by turbo5560, Feb 14, 2008.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

anyone using a hypertech programmer on a gas engine? Any big improvement as far as milage goes? 8-10 on highway is just not cutting it for me. Need to improve that some how.

2. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

You won't see any change in mileage using an off-the-shelf programmer. You might pick up 1 or 2 MPG if you get a professional dyno-tune, or a mail-order ECM upgrade. I can't think of any of the mail-order sites off the top of my head right now. The best way I've found to improve my highway mileage is to stay at 65 or under - it may take a few extra minutes of road time, but you I've gotten 16 MPG going 55 on long trips with my 5.7L and my 6.0L.

3. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

I disagree. I used hypertechs on all my previous 6.0L trucks and picked up an average of 2-3 mpg on the highway. I would average 16-17 on he highway @ 70 mph.

I don't notice a fuel increase at all on the diesels, but the fun factor plays in there :D

4. 20Silverado05

20Silverado05 Senior Member

any performance changes with the hypertech at all?

5. Bowtytek

Bowtytek Member
    from Maine

I used a hypertech programmer on my wife's S10 Blazer along with a cold air intake. I haven't noticed any improvments in fuel economy, but I don't know how to keep off the go pedal b/c it goes so much better now. I also went up in tire size and reprogrammed for tires as well. Did notice that on a long trip, milage increases a couple mpg's. The driveablilty is what really increased, even after a week, she noticed it and she doesn't notice anything when it changes in vehicles, kinda like men and women's haircuts.

6. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

ya... i know what you mean. I was once told this...
    "if you go outside and push your truck across the parking lot it might be a little difficult, but if I help you push it would be a little easier."

7. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I run one in my 6.0 with a CA intake. I only noticed 1-2 mpg better if that. I primarily installed it for pulling/towing. I drive it like an old granny and can only get around 12 hwy unloaded and around 7 plowing or towing. On long road trips, unloaded I can get around 13.
    Either way it still all sucks but what do ya do when your in this line of business. You need a full size truck with a gas guzzling motor to get the job done. I can't wait for the new 2500HD Chevy/Gmc 6.0 hybrid to come out. As soon as it's released I'm buying one.