1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hydrulic to electric plow change over

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ChipsEarthWorks, Nov 25, 2003.

1. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

I have a old style fisher plow with the hydrulics under the hood I am seeing if fisher makes an upgrade to a electric set up that the newer plows have. also is the crazy idea of my even able to be done If some one has any info on this let me know

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

That swap can be done, but its not really worth the cost. If you go all new it will cost around 2000.00. If you can find used or parts from ebay or a donor plow, you can do for about 1/2 of that.
    However you may have to also upgrade the alternator and battery. The belt drive hydro is very reliable but just not as fast. Given a choice, I would rather have the belt drive system.
    Dino

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i like the old under hood hydraulics's belt driven units more reliable :gunsfiring:

4. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

Thanks Guys this helps, sse It came with the truck when i bought it so I am trying to see if I should change it over, keep it ,or switch to a newer plow alltogether thanks again

5. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

i have the under hood system and it works great. theres a couple of things you can do to speed it up. i used a smaller pulley and keep the oil fresh. it's really not that much slower now. the new electric set ups are nice but theres alot to be said for the pulley units.