1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hydrostatic drive servicing

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by nsmilligan, Sep 23, 2002.

1. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Bought a used skid steer a Thomas 173. I've been checking it over for the upcoming winter, adjusted the chains replaced a couple of bearings. The problem is the left hydro static motor is very noisy, sounds like a bearing, in both forward and reverse. Is this something that can be serviced without specialized tools i.e. a dealer?

Bill

2. nsmilligan

The hydraulic motor, needed a seal kit and to be retimed, and no, unless you have the experience & tools, can they be owner serviced, because when they come apart they have to be retimed.
    But the dealer experience was really positive.

Bill

3. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I've spent my share of time operating skid loaders, although my Thomas experience is limited to a couple of hours in 1993, but I've fortunately not had to do much heavy maintenance on them.

What's "retimed" mean?

4. nsmilligan

Something to do with timing the valves in the motor.

Bill