1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hydrolic hoses?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by pipe539, Dec 14, 2013.

1. pipe539

pipe539 Junior Member

Hi all I have a question to throw out here and see if anyone can give me some advise. I have a western unimount plow on a 98 gmc that I noticed the hoses for the blade angle ram are looking like they could be replaced reason is where the hose meets the metal fitting its all frayed or at least the rubber is detached. I picked up some replacement hose at Northern tool but what would the procedure be to replace them, I dont want to get air in the system and screw something up. Thanks for any pointers.

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Just replace the hoses and run the plow, up , down, left, right check the oil, refill. do it again. It will bleed out the air on it's own.

3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Yeah, what he said. It is fully self-bleeding.

Also, hope you went all out and got the good hoses (steel braided). Its worth it, they're much more resilient.

4. pipe539

pipe539 Junior Member

I didn't get the good ones it was a kit I'll look in to replacing with steel ones next year

5. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

I've only been plowing a couple of years but I replaced mine and, the guys are, right, it's an easy job. I'd suggest making sure the fittings are good and tight because those would be places vulnerable to leaks.