1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydrolic hose fitting leaking fluid

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Hambrick & Co., Mar 1, 2008.

1. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

My right side (right angle) hydrolic hose line is leaking where the two fittings meet. I had a small puddle of fluid on the floor. I snugged up the fittings with some adjustable wrenches and will add more fluid tomorrow once its warmer out side and I can hook it back up to the truck. Could this have been just a loose fitting or is there something I'm missing. I'm new to the servicing my own equipment side of the biz. Any help would be great.

2. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Mine has done that at the beginning of every season just tighten and top off. You go through and check them through out the season as well.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Also make sure it's not leaking between the fitting and the body of the angle cylinder itself. Might need to snug it up there as well..

4. Hambrick & Co.

OK I just wanted to make sure I didn't have a larger problem than I thought. I will tighten everything up tomorrow morning. When I tightened the fittings the hose it moved from its normal position Please see attached pictures. The last one is of the fitting that was leaking (which has appeared to stop) The rest are of the hose positioning. Is that the proper positioning???? Thanks again for your help. Mike

DSC00465.jpg

DSC00466.jpg

DSC00467.jpg

DSC00468.jpg

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You may want to turn the fitting in the manifold for that hose outward just a bit Mike. It looks like the loop in the hose is close enough to the push frame that it could get pinched/nicked between the angle stop and the push frame.

To re angle the hose, loosen the jamb nut on the 90* fitting on the top of the manifold and turn the fitting just a bit to aim the hose out toward edge of the light tower. Then just snug the jam nut back down. This will get the loop of the hose away from the side of the push frame.

Or you can turn the hose a bit in the fitting you just tightened. Hold the hose where you want it to end up and turn the nut on the fitting to tighten, not turning the hose.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  6. Hambrick & Co.

Thanks for your help!

7. WALKERS

Another tip is (Since we own the same type Boss) keep an eye on those factory hose. They will pin hole on you. I replace mine with after market hoses.

8. Hambrick & Co.

After a closer inspection I do have a hole right where the fitting meats the hose the fluid is coming out of there. Where can I pick up after market hoses? Is there a specific brand which may be better?

If I wanted to take the hoses off would I have to drain the entire resivor? If so were is the drain plug? Can I take the hose off with out draining? Any help would be great I have at least three days until the next projected snow fall.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No need to drain anything, simply remove the hose and replace.

Any local hydraulic shop or most NAPA stores have good quality hose and hose ends to make you up replacement hoses. Most NAPA stores use Weatherhead brand fittings and Gates brand hose. Both good stuff.

10. Hambrick & Co.

Fantastic Thanks!

11. WALKERS

Hey anothesr FYI is the drain plug is on passenger side on the side of pump.:waving:
    Yes B&B is correct again I got mine from a hydraulic place here in town BIG change.

12. Hambrick & Co.

Update!

:help:I picked up another hose this morning from CPW - swapped out the old hose with the new and its not leaking anymore. I added fluid but I am not sure on how much to add the plow still seems a little slow when its going up..... should I add more fluid? Is there a way to tell when the resevor is full? Thanks Mike

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you can see fluid in the fill elbow, it's full.

14. Hambrick & Co.

Thanks B&B for all the help. :drinkup: