1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydrolic fluid?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by clncut, Nov 19, 2007.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

I own a blizzard and was wondering if I have to use Blizzards secret formulated hydrolic oil or is there other out there? Also, Im quite embarrassed asking but......I cant seem to find the valve for draining the fluid. The manual is quite vague to be honest and where is the filter? Thanks for the help

The plow is the 760HD

2. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

There is no drain valve, just take the fill cover off and pick the plow up and dump it out wesport

I would use any of the blue snowplow fluids....I think they are all rebranded...

The filter is inside the tank.

I usually drain fluid by sucking it out with a suction gun. Make sure you flush the lines too.

3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I have a really old Blizzard, my manual says to use ATF. I doubt that they changed anything internally after they started branding their own stuff. But their manuals probably starting saying they require special Blizzard fluid about that same time.

This topic (whether you can use ATF or not) starts a big war here every year. Some guys will insist you have to use hydraulic fluid, or blue fluid or Blizzard fluid or Amsoil full synthetic or whatever, and everybody can back up their claims with proof. I change my fluid at the beginning of the season (with a turkey baster) using conventional Wal-Mart brand cheap ATF, it always looks like new and never has any water or other discoloration to it. My plow is a 99. Works for me.

4. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

I was told by a very respectable source to pull off a line and pump the fluid out that way, also think about who makes/refines oil i can almost assure you that blizzard doesn't have their own refinery it is manufactured for the plow company and the company sticks their label on it blizzard,fisher,western they are all the same

5. capt4nocfa

capt4nocfa Junior Member

more fluid

I use AW32 in mine- $6 a gallon.. works great... I also have a western on a fire department vehicle that was new last year. i went to change the fluid and it had ATF- well it got the re-branded and colored stuff.. the chief was crabbing about $8 a quart..

when i change my fluid i angle the plow to the right, pull the left angle cyl hose off, pump out the fluid twice or so, then remove the right hose and CAREFULLY angle the plow by hand to the left to empty the angle cyl. hook everything up and fill er up cycle it a few times check the level and off you go...

just my $.02