1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydro - Tailgate spreader (Yes or No??)

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ChicagoSnow, Nov 14, 2001.

1. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

I am considering a Ford F-450 w/ central hydraulics and a swenson under tail gate spreader.

Anyone have experience w/these spreaders?

Please tell me as many negatives and positives as possible so I can consider all possibilities. I currently have a Swenson V box and a couple tail gate(Western pro-flow 1's) works well but difficult shifting from landscape maintenance to salting and of course un-loading and storage of equipment.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Under tailgates are nice and allow the whole truck bed for material. The downside as I see it is that you have to lift the bofy for material to be fed. This can be hazardous in low clearance areas.
  3. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

or just order this truck, no need to worry about raising the dump body. buy this truck packge-click here it would probably be as much as any other packages.

here's more specs on the all seasons body.http://www.tarrantmfg.com/dumpbody.html you can get the body in reg steel and stainless steel.

i've visited the plant, about 2 summers ago when they had the first snow-fighter package there. the truck had a 6 spd in it.

i'd give them a call and get a quote on the package.

4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Lift the body out where it's clear, get a pile back against the tailgate and into the spreader feed and you can go quite a ways before you have to lift it again. With just a little common sense having to lift the body is no big deal. Without the added weight of a vee box you can carry taht much more material and the truck can always be used for anything you want to carry. I've got all three, undergate, vee box and tailgate hopper. If I could only have one it would be the undergate. Better control of spread width and amount than any vee box I've seen. Next best would be a vee box with dual hydro drives for feed and spinner independantly, but then you're into central hydraulics anyhow and STILL have a vee box to mess with if you need the truck.
  5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I agree that the V-box does take up some capacity. At the same time I run the Viboxes cause I can take them on and off the truck easier then an undetailgate. I had an undertailgate once and it would take two people time to mount. My V's I can mount by myself if needed using my overhead lift ot skid steer. The lack of material capapcity is not as important because all of my plowing is within 5 miles of my shop.
  6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would think if you want volume at a low price get the under tailgate model,If you want tire traction and alot of valume and pay daily i'm sure go with that tarrent model or just go with old reliable vbox with your choice of electric ,gas or hydraulic. Now one question on whole bodie sanders,Is it a problem keeping snow and ice from freezing up on the load? or does every one stay mostly empty till ready to sand?
  7. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I'll give a Thumb's Up to the hydro tailgater. Put a good vibrator on the dump body & then you don't have to lift the bed very high at all, leaving it a safe operation.
  8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

That would probably hep out in most applications. When I ran one I did not have much of a problem. The truck was loaded about half full for plowing weight and then we used the tarp. When we loaded it full the sand the material would not have time to freeze