1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydro & paint

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by WOODY367, Apr 5, 2016.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Picked up a ExtremeV SS setup and all works as it should but there seams to be a grinding sound when the pump is engaged. almost like striped gears. I plan on taking the pump apart and servicing it but did not know if there might be something to look for.
    There are some spots where the black power coating is peeling and rust, How shouldI ntake care of that? I was planning on sanding or gringing the areas and either use Rystoleum or POR15 and suggestions, should I scuff everything and repaint?

2. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Gotta bake that crap powerder coating off and then blast it. Prime with favorite epoxy primer and paint. I use rustoleum and super wet look hardner, I also cut it with some reducer and spray it. I usually mix 8:2:1. Paint:Harner:Reducer respectively.

3. cwren2472

cwren2472 Member

Usually a grinding noise is actually the motor, not the pump. It's common for the brushes to fall apart and make a hellish noise inside when engaged.

The way the gears work inside the pump, it normally won't make noise; It just fails and either free spools, or stays siezed up.

4. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Thank you, I spoke to Fisher texh and they said the same thing.When this nasty weather breaks OI will remove the motor and bench test it and see what happens. Hopefully it is the motor which is a lot cheaper the replacing the pump.

5. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Getting all the power coating off will be a nitemare. There is only spot areas that are pelling, I might try grinding those araes and prime and paint. This will be a project over the summer. Thanks

6. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Dies antone know the part # for the pump filter kit? Is it # 66763-1 I am not sure seeing the unit is upside down from the one on my MM2HD? Also what is the # for a replacement motor?

7. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Ok got the motor#. Still not sure the filyer kit#. I found just the filter, but is there a kit with the o-ring. I am still looking for the way to service this pump, is it the same as the Insta-act on the HD? This one has the reservoir on the top?

8. cwren2472

cwren2472 Member

Yes, that part # is correct for the filter. The motor and filter are the same for the regular straight blade insta-act, just upside down as you said.

The pump assembly is different if you do wind up needing that.

9. NorEasterMA

NorEasterMA Junior Member

I've had mixed success removing powder coat with a wire wheel and patience. My blade is overall in good shape with minor rust spots near the trip edge and along the ribs in the back, however the front and spots on the back have been repainted. So I'm unsure of what's underneath...planning to wire wheel/scuff up the whole thing and then have it sandblasted and epoxy primered. For paint, I'll be doing several coats of the actual Fisher enamel. I know most people are discouraged by the price, but as they say, "I got a guy". So I'll be doing multiple coats of that, wet sanding in between, and laying a few coats of clear on top. I would recommend the same procedure even just for spot treatments, especially since fisher offers their paint in spray cans, which could make that touchup much easier. Just be aware there could be some visual differences if not painting the whole thing.

10. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Is there anything special abpit the Fisher black powder coat paint #20498? I knw people are not to big on the Fisher yellow. Is rustoleum or other paint just as good or better?