1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydro or Gas V-Box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BOSS 444, Dec 8, 2005.

1. BOSS 444

BOSS 444 Member
    from In.

Hello, I have purchased an old Monroe v-box with the Briggs removed and converted to hydro. Should I replace w/ new gas engine, or add hydraulics to my 99'F-350?

Opinions please!
    TIA,
    Eric

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

it would be eaier and cheaper to just add a gas engine to the spreader.

3. BOSS 444

BOSS 444 Member
    from In.

I assumed this would be the case. Just something I was thinking about after hearing the starting complaints w/ the gassers. Are Hydro spreaders more reliable generally speaking? What is there down side, besides needing hydraulics?

What gas engine would you buy if you were building from scratch?

Thanks again,
    Eric

4. Polar

Polar Junior Member
    from Albany

Im not an expert on this but from my experience with hydro salters vs. gas salters i think hydro salters are the best. Ive only used them in big trucks so i dont know what it would be on a 350.

The advantage of the hydro is that you dont have to worry about keeping gas in the salter and you dont have to worry about the engine not starting when it get cold out. The only disadvantage that i can think of this that the spreader only runs as fast as the pump goes so if you arn't keeping you RPMs at the same range then you may have uneven spreading of the material either to much wasting your material or two little and not getting full coverage. Also you have to deal with hooking up a wet kit and i dont know how much that will run you.

The advantage of gas is that it always runs at a contant speed so you can get a more even spread. And the disadvantage is the having to start up the gas engine and keep gas in it so you have to go around with an extra gas can. Also if the engine stalls and the battery dies you have to hand start it in the cold so it kind of sucks.

This is what ive experienced using both so there is probly more pros and cons of each.

5. BOSS 444

BOSS 444 Member
    from In.

Any preference on gas engine?
    Possibly buying from scratch.

Thanks,
    Eric

6. Land Design

Land Design Member

Had a 2yd briggs v box a few years back. had nothing but problems with it starting for 1.5 yrs. than sold it. Where i work now we have a BRAND NEW 3 yd v box, in the first 10 days we have spent 10 hrs. messing around with the tecusmch engine trying to get it started. if you can afford hydralic it is the only way to go for reliability, gas is crap..............speaking from first hand experiece.

my 2 cents

7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

My air flow has a 5 hp briggs , its 12 to 14 years old , 1 shot of starter fluid and it is good all night . My western also has a briggs and havent had a problem . It sat for 4 years before I bought it and it fired right up on the old gas that was still in it.

8. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

honda honda honda

9. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

Def. go with the gas

The hydrolics setup will cost too much to have installed. I would go with the gasser myself.

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Honda engine. I've had one on mine for four seasons now with troubles.