1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hydro line quick disconnects

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elite1msmith, Aug 19, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i had a question, or a thought rather

older plows use to have quick dissconnects to remove the plow from the truck

it is not like this happens every storm , but it seems that i will blow 4-5 hydro lines per year on the various plows we have, either from a hard impact or just a weak line

with that said, i thought about putting quick dissconnets on both the pump side, and the ram side, a little wrench work now, under nice, shop conditions, could save 10 mins of fustration in zero degree wheather each time it snows, plus being covered in hydro fluid, in the dark

does anyone think this would be a good idea? do these things go bad too? leaks? assuming that once hooked up they wouldnt be removed except for service . how about rust?

just a thought, what are yours?

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

When the minute mounts first came out I used to put quick connects on. Made it easier to service or swap a pump etc. Haven't done this since 2001 though. As it is I still have a couple trucks (in my family) which have conventional plows, may add another soon.

The couplers seem to attract dirt though and would be an easy place for a restriction.

I have replaced a couple lines that wore through and we saw bad chaffing in a preseason or prestorm inspection, but in 20 years of plowing have never had a line blow, let alone 4-5 per season.

3. elite1msmith

from chicago

wow, never a line?

i think 1 out of 2 plows i have blow a line at some point throught out the season

.... i do inspect them preseason, but if its not brok , dont fixe it ... i have replaced a few lines preseason, but found, sometime ur replacing a good line with a bad one, and 2 months later the one you just put on blows

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Although adding QD's at both ends of the hoses sounds like a good idea from a quick repair standpoint, its not a good idea. The least QD's you have in the hydro system the better. Restrictions in themselves, and will occasionally become instant check valves at the most inopportune times.

If your blowing hoses so often that your looking for a quick swap solution- your using the wrong hose material. Where you getting your hose(s)?

5. elite1msmith

from chicago

i normally just buy the western stock hoses....

some of these plows are 12 yrs (uni mounts) and have originals... so maybe its best i just change them all

i know a western deal had told me 5 yrs ago that the ultra mount hoses had problems for a while, i think we blew 2 last year on those... maybe its just the age

when i first started, it took me like 3yrs before i blew one.... now it seems ever 3rd or 4th storm, of course more plows, and equiptment, to break these days'

but B&B i think your right, about the check valuve thing....

if im gonna start disconnecting lines, and put a QD then maybe its best to just replace the hose instead

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

i had a friend tell me that the city, has then specialy made at a place, with a higher psi rating

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:nod:

Age and UV light/weather can be as hard on a hose as pressure and usage.

If you want good quality hose thats UV stable and will provide good service, the next time you need a hose go to a hyd shop...not the Western dealer. :)

8. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I go aftermarket. I get hoses made but you can buy them that have a fabric type outer jacket. I think this holds up and is more flexible then the plastic that comes with many plows. I have seen theses crack in the cold. From there its just time.

Are the hoses blowing or chaffing through?

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Napa makes a great quality hose.
    I use them on plows and skid loader plus my tractors.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That would be Gates or WeatherHead...both good stuff. :nod:

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

There will be hydraulic hose shops in your area or at least most farm equipment dealers make hoses. we always get our hoses made up instead of buying from the dealer. We usually put old fire hose around our hoses or we buy the kevlar wear hose to put around them. The fabric also keeps the sun off your hoses. The fire hose we get is the smaller stuff from inside buildings, it looks brand new but they have to change it every 10 years to pass the fire inspection.

12. elite1msmith

from chicago

i didnt realize how many ppl have them made at different plces...i figured run the stock ones, for best results, i guess you learn something new every day

13. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Nope stock hoses like almost everything stock are about how to save the company the most money, using cheap parts is pretty much a given. Places labeled a 'industrial supply' in the phone book will be able to make you a great hose also.